Options

I got an entry-level penetration tester job, but a lowball salary?!

TinkericTinkeric Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I just negotiated an offer to be an entry-level penetration tester, which I'm excited about, but I'm concerned that I may have taken a salary that's way too low.

I'll be making $56k, but according to my research, an entry-level pen tester salary is around $65k. (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Penetration_Tester/Salary/163f8fe3/Entry-Level and http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/penetration-tester-salary/). I also live in DC/MD/VA, where the cost of living is near the top nationally.

If my salary is way below the average, that would be mostly my fault because I made every mistake in the book during the interview and negotiation process. I gave a desired salary range up front, and of course they offered the minimum of my range. I already signed their counter offer, so there's no going back.

I was mostly focused on preparing for the interview and then not losing the offer. I actually only signed and submitted the offer a few days ago. I haven't started the job yet. Maybe I can try to re-open the salary negotiation?

At the same time, I'm coming into this job with very little pen testing experience. I have my A+, Network+, Security+, and was a Systems Administrator for 3 years. Maybe $56k is pretty good for entry-level infosec? (I read a thread here that says 50-60k is about right. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/88164-information-security-entry-level-pay.html)

I'm excited to start a infosec job though!

What do you think? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tinkeric wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I just negotiated an offer to be an entry-level penetration tester, which I'm excited about, but I'm concerned that I may have taken a salary that's way too low.

I'll be making $56k, but according to my research, an entry-level pen tester salary is around $65k. (Entry Level Penetration Tester Salary (United States) and Average Penetration Tester Salary 2014 - InfoSec Institute). I also live in DC/MD/VA, where the cost of living is near the top nationally.

If my salary is way below the average, that would be mostly my fault because I made every mistake in the book during the interview and negotiation process. I gave a desired salary range up front, and of course they offered the minimum of my range. I already signed their counter offer, so there's no going back.

At the same time, I'm coming into this job with very little pen testing experience. I have my A+, Network+, Security+, and was a Systems Administrator for 3 years. Maybe $56k is pretty good for entry-level infosec? (I read a thread here that says 50-60k is about right. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/88164-information-security-entry-level-pay.html)

I'm excited to start a infosec job though!

What do you think? Thanks.

I think you're fine..if it turns out that you really feel you're being underpaid, use the job as an opportunity to gain a couple years of experience and jump ship to something else - there are tons of opportunities in that area for experienced candidates. Congrats!
  • Options
    hustlerb01hustlerb01 Banned Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its a foot in the door use it
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take it as is. You already signed so turning around looks bad. I suppose it depends how desperate you are but I would take it, file under interview / negotiation experience and maybe discuss again on your first review.

You can always ask during the review what your options are to imporve on salary. Rather than blunt asking for more cash ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to concur. You should've done your homework beforehand. As a hiring manager I would see it as not honoring the agreement we reached. Also, you always take the risk of the employer rescinding the offer.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds low for the area you are in, but if you're getting into the infosec field, I'd probably just bite the bullet unless you can't afford to. Work there a year and find something way better in terms of pay.

Use this as a learning experience in the future to have all your ducks in a row for pay prior to an interview.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you negotiated and took the offer. so for you it must have been fine. Why worry about that now. Just focus on doing well, learning and building your skills so you can get a better paying job. And learn how to better negotiate! If you tell them your range up front, they will give you that range. THey will never give you more. and it will likely take years for you to make that up at your job.
  • Options
    Slightly low for the area, but not unreasonably so, in my opinion. As others have mentioned, it's a 'foot in the door.' Congrats on the new position!
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the others posting, it might be somewhat low for the area but you have already committed and turning back now would pose risks. I would take the opportunity and learn all you can and then look to increase your pay with your current employer or by moving on with the experience you've gained.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure with just a year at the job you'd be able to move into a position that pays substantially better. Consider it a learning experience.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's great experience and that pay while on the low side, isn't horrid by any means. Learn, get your experience and there may be raises tied to your improvement and knowledge as you go along on this side of IT. If the opportunities are limited there for income and position growth get your experience in this role and then look elsewhere. Congrats on the new job and learn learn learn. It will be a fun ride.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Congrats on the new job! Look on the bright side: you are in the field you want to be in and there is always room for growth.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    56k is not a low ball salary. Even in DC. People/Companies toss around entry-level in regards to IT as a means of paying less money. Anything under 3 years of experience in a particular subset is consider by most job postings as entry level. With that said, once you have been on the job for a year if you decide to look elsewhere for work you can more than likely find a 65k a year a job in the field with ease. And yet it will still be an "entry" level position. Had you posted they were paying you 35k yeah I'd say that is a low ball offer. But 56k was obviously within the range of what you were willing to accept. So stick with the job, and after 6 months or so make sure you hit your supervisors up to see what you can be doing more of. At your review if you dont get the raise you want. Look for another job.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey can you message me please OP
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just think how much you can make in one year of experience. You got your foot in the door. Make the most of it.