Options

Next Step After Security+

SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I recently completed my CompTIA trio and would like to take on another certification, preferably in the security area. In doing some research, I've seen that the typical "next steps" are either SSCP or CASP. Which would be more ideal after the Security+? What are your thoughts on this? Anything else out there that I may be missing?

Thanks!
LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!

Comments

• Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    SSCP currently gets more hits on job boards.
  • Options
    VerbatimVerbatim Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are in a job area that requires 8570 compliance, the CASP is officially recognized as IAT lvl III and IAM lvl II. While most people still auto-default to the CISSP to meet the IAT lvl III requirement, it is an alternative path and a little bit easier to study for than the CISSP if time is a factor.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    There is also CEH covering many of the CNDSP (Cyber Network Defense Security Program) Infrastructure categories.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I would recommend the CCENT, and then the CCNA: Security, or the CEH.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In case you don't know, to be officially SSCP certified, you need at least 1 year of experience in at least 1 of the domains.If not you'll be an associate until you get the experience required.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a similar boat, leaning toward CASP. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to go for SSCP and CASP?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Getting SSCP and CASP really depends on your current level of InfoSec experience and career goals. If you already work in InfoSec and have at least 4-5 years of experience, you should go straight for the CISSP, CISA, or CISM. If you have less InfoSec experience, or are trying to steer you career in an InfoSec direction, then the Sec+ -> CASP -> SSCP route is good way to go. Some people--including myself--get the SSCP as preparation for the CISSP.