Options

WGU Questions

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
For those of you who go to WGU:

How well do you feel the classes prepare you to take the certification exams?

I'm looking to go back to school for a bachelors degree. Most of my credits should transfer from my AAS degree. I also have some certifications that I'll get credit for. I'm hoping to only be in school for 3 or 4 semesters. I'm just concerned that the MCSA: 2012 R2 is a bit much to squeeze into a couple semesters. I've heard the exams are pretty hard. I took the 410 today and failed with a score of 663.
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first thing you want to look at is that for the certs, you really don't have a "class" in the traditional sense. For example, when I had to take the CCNA Security, they gave me access to the CBT NUggets videos for it, the Cisco press book and some simulation software if I remember correctly. It was then up to me to self study the material. When I had some trouble with GNS3 and running simulations I hit up the course mentor who helped me out. Otherwise it's all on you.

So, its really more of a question of how well do you self study, vs how well does a class prepare you.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    If you are transferring in an AAS as well as the certs listed in your profile you shouldn't need 3 terms to complete a degree at WGU. But YOU set the pace. For the MCSA it will take as long as you need to learn the material. They have transcender practice test, CBT Nugget Videos, as well as MeasureUP for practice labs.

There is a pacing guide they use, but only you know how well you can retain stuff you learn in this method. I can tell you that lab, lab, lab, is the way you are going to practice the MCSA stuff. Videos and practice tests more than likely aren't enough.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    @Danielm7
    I'm good at self-studying. However, I am not good with being put on a schedule. Mainly because I get really stressed out under pressure.

I feel like it may be more cost effective to get the MCSA 2012 BEFORE starting at WGU. My employer is paying for the exams and training materials.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your work is paying for it then definitely get them before starting. Also, at WGU you really aren't on a schedule. The only schedule is making sure you do 12 or more credits per 6 month term which is not difficult.