CCNA certified but working as helpdesk - advice please

fappenningfappenning Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I recently passed the CCNA cert exam but right now i'm working as a helpdesk or as a service desk technician (that's what our company calls us). I had experience working in a call center company as tech support agent who assisted end users w/ regards to connectivity issue. We mostly troubleshoot physical layer problem like is the modem plugin securely and configure routers.

Now, as a service desk tech, most of the time we create incident reports and communicate w/ NOC, systems and desktop technician. The good thing about the job is that they allowed me to get access to MS exchange server and active directory. Most of the time, we reset password, create email distro list.

I'm disappointed because this is not the job i liked. I wanted to do more troubleshooting so that i could go up. I just started 2 weeks ago and now i don't think i made the right choice.

Should i stay or look for a different job?

Comments

• Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would advise staying while looking @ some entry level networking jobs that require CCNA. I feel your pain as well man. I could still be working at my ICT Level II hospital help desk position but now i ended up at Geek Squad. :/. I am also in the process of obtaining my CCNA (getting CCENT first).
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Your name is questionable.... I would definitely not just leave right away, rather learn as much as you can while gaining experience and look out for entry level network tech opportunities. As much as it may hurt--having a CCNA doesn't automatically link you to a better job. Relevant experience plus certifications are the key here.

@ Nafe92014

How did you go down to Geek Squad from a medical IT position?
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @tkerber

The position I had at the hospital was a 3 month term from February to May due to one of the full time techs on mat leave. Once my term ended, I decided to apply at Geek Squad and work until I get another higher IT job.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill