Options

Linux+ Complete

southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Today I completed the 102 exam. I am certainly glad it's over. Good luck to anyone planning on taking the exams soon. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    can you tell us how hard the course is for someone who never really used Linux at all? What video & study training did you use? How long did it take you to complete both tests?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Was the material up to date and was it mainly bash?

I haven't read much about this cert but really like bash and might be interested in this cert at some point.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Congratulations! What's the next certification you're going for?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I use Linux daily at work and have gotten as far as bash scripting and would say I am somewhat comfortable in the command line. However, I just looked at a few practice questions for the exams and wow, I was completely lost.

Good job again!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats south! CCNA and L+ is a good combo!
    omi2123 wrote: »
    can you tell us how hard the course is for someone who never really used Linux at all?

By course I'm assuming you mean both exams? If you've never used Linux, it will be pretty difficult at first. You definitely have to work with the CLI, understand all of the commands in the study guide + some of their main switches, understand FHS, various utilities, basic sys admin duties for everything from network to security to printing...IMO it's the hardest CompTIA entry-level exam.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the kind words. This exam took me way longer than I anticipated, but hey, life happens. I am going to say something that will probably piss off a few publishers, but it's for a good cause. All the books for this certification are awful. That's just my personal opinion, but I stand behind it. I was a complete neophyte to linux when I started this path, but I wanted to ditch windows as much as possible. My recommendations for taking this exam are as follows:
    ## Linuxacademy.com (It's better everyday. They have courses for Linux, AWS, Python etc., awesome videos, community, your own servers to practice on, and the study guide is spot on for the exam. It's a bargain $25. No, I don't work for these people, but I firmly believe in their product.
    ## Ditch windows. You need to live in Linux. I know it's a pain in the butt to quit anything cold turkey. I think transitioning from Windows to Linux offers you a lot of learning experiences that exam objectives don't necessarily cover. The everyday mundane i.e getting adobe flash to work.
    ## For the 101 exam you are focused on the essential shell commands, fhs, sys admin related stuff. Memorize the commands and most common options. It's not an easy exam because it's rather broad in material.
    ## For the 102 exam. This one is a challenge. It's really about knowing config file locations and structures, command output, x11, and bash scripts (YAY). You really need to put in the lab time on this one to get familiar with the topics.
    ## Virtual labs are your best friend. You need to use two different distros for this exam: one that uses debian package management (mint, debian, ubuntu), and one that uses rpm (fedora, redhat).
    ## Last, but certainly not least. Don't give up. It's hard. I know. If you have never used Linux, at times, it seems impossible. Sometimes you want to click the shutdown button, but instead you open a terminal and enter "sudo shutdown -P". Why? It's because you don't want to be that person anymore.
    As for what's next. CCNA security book is already in the mail.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif Have you used Greg Porter's method of get the LPI, the SUSE, and the Novell certs?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    I am currently awaiting confirmation from LPI. I just got the email from Comptia about 30 minutes ago. Looking forward to getting them all.
  • Options
    vinmannvinmann Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi
    I just recently passed 101 and 102 for Linux + cert. Make sure you registers(with the same information) to CompTia and LPI and SUSE/Novell.
    It took a couple of days to get the certs on each site...with SUSE being last and longest.

I used CBTnugget with SPowers (he hit all the marks of content)and whatever tests I could find.
    I was amazed how many (close to 15 of the 60) were repeated from sample tests etc.

I have hands on and practical experience but I found the tests to be hard. Test 102, I did better and it was easier for me.
    Good luck.