Average time to complete the CCNA

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi All,

As you can see in my signature, I was planning to complete my CCNA this year around these times but by the looks of things I no longer see the light of achieving this in such a short period of time. So I was wondering, what it is the average time to complete or get certified in Cisco's CCNA? I am planning to get started on this at the beginning of the year in 2015.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! icon_wink.gif

Comments

• chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I am like you at the moment. I'm currently icon_study.gif for both CCENT/CCNA + CISSP, and that's after whole days of tiring work. sleeping.gifdrunken_smilie.gif
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say it would depend on how much previous networking knowledge and experience you have. It took me about 3 months of studying for the CCNA to pass it but then again I had been working in and around networking for about 4 years.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Below average candidates with little motivation probably take a long time.

I took a year. Judging by the posts on this forum over the last year I would say I am not outside of the norm. I think a motivated individual with no experience and normal life commitments such as a family and a job would probably take 2-3 months per test assuming the two exam route.

Obviously nobody can say how long you will take to study but given your experience with other certifications you probably have a good idea what it will involve. We try to trick ourselves with questions like this. Just getting started is the best way to earn a certification.

Good Luck!
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It will be one year Feb 20'something 2015. I feel I am about ready for the ICND2 and have not really hammered on it as much as I would like.

I would say the key is to learning how you learn then honing in on that and improving that skill. Once you figure that out, learning new topics is much easier.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I would say the key is to learning how you learn then honing in on that and improving that skill. Once you figure that out, learning new topics is much easier.

Great point! I like to study one topic and play with all the little things that go along with it to keep me interested. I'm currently taking 4 courses at night and it kills my motivation because I can't follow one topic I have to shift subjects each day. The work is not hard but it does not allow for any experimentation.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took me about 5 months of studying on and off, but I was probably ready after 3 months. I studied for the full CCNA, but took the 2 test route taking the two tests within a few weeks of each other. My studies were also more of a refresher as I took the Netacademy classes (4 CCNA Classes + a Wireless Networking Class) 11 years earlier in College, but hadn't worked with Cisco since.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys now I know what I am getting myself into.

And is the study material for these exams on point and well organized to prepare you to pass and what sort of study resources are sufficient enough to well prepared for the exam (e.g a book and a lab setup or a book, videos and a lab setup)?

I am asking the above question because Microsoft's study material are not on point (not all but some of them) in terms of getting you fully prepared for the exam.
  • delanajerodelanajero Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It took me 8 weeks, close to 2 months to do my CCNA R&S for a couple of reason. I can't be bothered doing all 4 CCNA books for school so I opted for an RPL after I passed my CCNA. I took the single exam and did not go through CCENT-CCNA path.

Like what the other guys said, really depends on motivation and networking background/experience you had. I think I had almost no background in networking because I came from helpdesk/programming background so for me its all about motivation.

Did not use cisco press books, but I did go through all the Cisco labs from the exploration series. I don't like the new CCNA series from netacad, its all over the place. Saw all the CCNA vids made by Jeremy Cioara. I started off buy getting a cheap kit from ebay. Started with 3 2950 switches and 2 2620 routers and LABS, LABS LABS....

Now that I am CCNP, that's a whole different story in terms of study...
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    And is the study material for these exams on point and well organized to prepare you to pass and what sort of study resources are sufficient enough to well prepared for the exam (e.g a book and a lab setup or a book, videos and a lab setup)?

I am asking the above question because Microsoft's study material are not on point (not all but some of them) in terms of getting you fully prepared for the exam.

I believe so. I took the old exams (640 series) and Odom's book was really good and in fact even covered some material beyond the scope of ICND2. I used Lammle's book as a supplement and it helped also.

As for Microsoft, honestly nothing other than alot of hands-on troubleshooting experience [or cheating, which is why there are so many "Paper MCSEs" out there] will truly prepare you for their exams. Its not that the material is difficult, but rather the format of their tests. Expecting people to pick the network problem and/or solution from a paragraph of text, which might be confusingly worded. MS would do themselves a huge favor if they followed Cisco's lead and added Simulation type questions. It would help those really know what they're doing, but have trouble with the worded scenarios, while weeding out the Paper MCSEs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Cisco Official Certification Guide (OCG) books were excellent preparation for the CCNA exam. I took a Microsoft exam directly after the CCNA and there was a tremendous difference in the organization and utility of the Microsoft study material. If you are coming from an MCP background, you will be very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Cisco books.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Todd Lammle's CCNA composite book and his command's book. Didn't buy any equipment but went over all the labs and scenarios in the books with Packet Tracer.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input @delanajero I appreciate it and thanks to everyone for the informative response.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started studying around a month ago for the CCNA and I'm taking the test next weekend. I don't have much networking experience other than basic help desk issues and setting up my home networks. I study a lot though and I'm constantly tinkering on packet tracer.