Options

Finding Jobs Entry Level Jobs?

izzyiz426izzyiz426 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone Im a long time snooper on this site and love all the information that is on here. Ive been looking for entry level jobs within the New York area. I currently have my BS in Network Administration. I have spoken to a few hiring managers and they informed me that to find a job within corporate many of them use recruiters. I don't have that much experience with recruiters, I've been applying for jobs on indeed with no luck icon_sad.gif. My question is what and how do you find good recruiters and head hunters, or if anyone has any experience with any companies that use them. Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most of my experience with recruiters and headhunters is based on applications I've sent to job adverts which were placed by recruiters. Outside of the normal job sites like Dice and Indeed, I've had some reach out to me on LinkedIn based on a keyword search (or so they say). I also know some ex-coworkers who are now into corporate recruiting who are more than happy to recount some of their frustrations. Of course this could be isolated to the ones I know, but from what I understand they have a specific quota to fill and are required to speak to X amount of people per day, bring in Y potential candidates to the office for "screening" and then place Z number into temp or perm roles. When I was looking for my current position, I included the NY metro area, but didn't have much luck. I assume its due to having a ton of qualified applicants and them not needing options outside the area.

I include my LinkedIn URL in my resume as part of the contact information and believe it might make some difference having a custom URL. Of course my phone didn't blow up after changing it, but YRMV.

Customizing Your Public Profile URL | LinkedIn Help Center
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Welcome!

This isn't really an easy question to answer. We all know of or have heard of 'those' recruiters who are just trying to fill a quota or don't even read your resume or credentials and forward you garbage. There is not necessarily a firm that only has 'good' recruiters and there is no way to just find good recruiters either.

There are a few big name ones that you may find from a Google search of recruiters in your area but usually I use word of mouth. If I work with someone who got placed by a recruiter and has high regards for that recruiter, I may consider him in later searches. I've had great experiences with some permanent placement at Robert Half but every recruiter is different. I've also had terrible experiences with Robert Half recruiters as well.

My only advice to you is just make absolutely sure you know what you're getting into and backing out is never a bad thing. Recruiting companies can be tricky with contracts and temp to FTE, etc...
  • Options
    izzyiz426izzyiz426 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea its just hard to find a job as a college grad ... I've been sending out my resume with no luck
  • Options
    Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My experience is that you can do one of the following

1. Get a Paid or Unpaid Internship IT as an IT Help Desk, Desktop Support Tech, Tech Support or even a computer operator.

2. Search for a job full time or part time with the same jobs i mention above.

3. Network with people they may help you out and attend job and technology fairs. Try Craiglist too and look at public computer repair shops. Walk in and ask for job

ANything in IT you must have some sort of experience experience plays a really big role in the Computer Technology world.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are applying for entry-level jobs, are you getting interviews? If not, working on your resume should be your main focus. I went years with a chronological resume and had very few interviews. After switching to a functional resume I was overwhelmed with interviews.

If you are getting interviews, you might want to do mock interviews with someone until you feel confident.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)