Options

Afnet migration and how it affects contractors on help desk

rdzdubzrdzdubz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the Air Force migration to AFNET affects contractors that operate on the helpdesk? I just started a job on base and I keep hearing about AFNET migration and i finally found out that AFNET is all about the air force sourcing all tier 1 type of issues to one central location...which is the ESD (Enterprise Service Desk). I am a desktop support technician and the contract im working on is up for rebid in June, 2015. Im concerned that they will get rid of my job completely or maybe downsize the helpdesk?

Has anyone else gone through this issue at other Air Force Bases and worked on the help desk??

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    While I don't know the specifics of your situation, or the AF migration in general, remember that there will always be a need for people on the ground for troubleshooting, swapping out PCs, etc. Maybe not as many as your shop has now, but the positions won't go away entirely.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    The AFNET migration and ESD is a complete fail. I do not foresee the current structure to continue for much longer. As far as your question goes alot of it depends on what network you contract on. Unclass, secret, TS etc.. That being said, most cuts in manning were made prior to AFNET unless they were directly associated with the migrations. I would think you are safe as we have not had any IT support contracts cut post AFNET.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ESD is horrible. It was a silly idea to consolidate all the IT tier 1 IT and ticketing into one location world wide. When I worked there (*shudder*), tickets and issues that couldn't be fixed remotely would be elevated to the base comm squadron level, where I'm assuming you work at now.

So they'll always need individuals for local and hands on issues.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna