Options

Job Interview

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hi TE,

So finally after applying via Internships, I finally got an email saying that they would like to interview me via phone.

I have never done a phone interview, so if someone can explain how it works would be great.

It is for an IT Delivery Engineer position, which focuses more on networks and is a step up from help desk.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The fact that they scheduled an interview is a good sign icon_thumright.gif . Don't stress and may the force be with you :)
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Justin- wrote: »
    I have never done a phone interview, so if someone can explain how it works would be great.

They will call you, ask you questions, you should answer as best you can until they stop asking questions, then the interview ends.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    A few points to make sure it goes smooth on your end:
    • Be in a quiet, comfortable place without distractions.
    • Have your notes out in front of you, including the questions that you are going to ask them.
    • Have your resume out in front of you, and highlight the points relevant to the job. I would suggest to have some notes jotted down regarding projects you did related to your experience
    • Be ready for the call 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time
    • Confirm the call time in your timezone.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    My advice is to dress as if it was face to face, this will help get you in the right frame of mind.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My suggestion would be to take 30 minutes and really think of questions you have about the position, team, and company.

I have interviewed many candidates over the years and I think it is important to have questions to ask your potential employer.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    Are the questions technical or typical behavioral questions over the phone? Thanks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Who knows? Depends on the company and the person interviewing. I'd be ready for both though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Good point @networker. I will prepare for both and also prepare to ask questions. I am assuming they are going to ask me about personal projects, what would be an example of this for this position? I've built a computer from scratch before, and know software/hardware installation and networking concepts / practical ideas. Any examples of projects would be awesome. Thanks for all your responses, I'm very grateful for the help.
  • Options
    The interview went great yesterday, and guess what guys? I got the job offer already today! I was on the phone with the manager of the IT sector and the HR guy during the phone interview.

I'm really excited I got the offer. The technical questions were very easy, questions like what is a VPN, DMZ, different port numbers etc. And of course there were behavioral questions.

Thanks for all the support, I went in really prepared for the interview as I made a list of questions to ask as well as read up and learn about the company. It's a really large nuclear plant so I can't wait to get started on receiving the work experience and learning!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Did you prefer the phone interview over face to face? I've always been more comfortable with th former.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    @techfiend, I still prefer face to face because I like to create a sort of connection with the employer. This is my first time doing a phone interview so it's really different.

Thank you!