Options

do i need to take network+ before security+?

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
im interested in taking security+ after i get my A+(hopefully) this coming week. and ive read that the most natural transition is to network+ THEN to security+ but if they are apples to oranges then i will just proceed and take security+

me and some other classmates are going to self-study and have our instructor give us either course on testout.

eventually i hope to get CEH after security+ but this post is primarily for security+ so i will keep it focused there

hope to hear from you all,

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having a firm grasp of the Net+ material will help with the Sec+.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »

alright i was thinking about moving on to Server Administration>Network Administration heres the target certifications for server according to my school

"Configuring Windows 8, and MCSA Installing and Configuring Server 2012, Administering Server 2012, and Configuring Advanced Server 2012."

for Network Administration the description is: Target certification: CISCO Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and CCENT.

so net+ would be my suggested certification i should target next?
  • Options
    Honestly the material covered in the Net+ will help with all three tracks (Security, Cisco, and Microsoft).
    Andy

• Options

detroitwillfall,

having a firm grasp of the material does not mean it is necessary to take a class and pass the exam. Read a book, watch some CBTs, and once you understand the material move on.

not sure why you opened two threads one after the other. Let the conversation play out in one thread.
    Andy

• Options
    Honestly the material covered in the Net+ will help with all three tracks (Security, Cisco, and Microsoft).

the overlap u talk about is because ccna/ccent are more advanced versions of net+ basically? or am i completely left field lol. i want to be versatile and not one-dimensional with microsoft which is why im gonna do linux+ hopefully here shortly. but was just looking for a direct path to security, CEH.
  • Options
    for others, the other thread is here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/other-comptia-certifications/105098-confused-ccna-ccent-mcsa-ect.html

I would describe the CCENT as the Net+ material from the Cisco perspective with added on intro to Cisco technology.
    Andy

• Options
    for others, the other thread is here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/other-comptia-certifications/105098-confused-ccna-ccent-mcsa-ect.html

I would describe the CCENT as the Net+ material from the Cisco perspective with added on intro to Cisco technology.

so net+ wouldnt be nessicary if im getting CCENT? and to broaden the picture if i wanted to do security+ i wouldnt need net+ if i get CCENT instead?
  • Options
    Although I have exposure to Cisco hardware, I do not consider myself a network admin and I have never taken a cisco exam, so I will defer that those the have.

You want to go to Info Sec, but have an opportunity for free Network (Cisco) or System (Microsoft). While neither path is specifically Info Sec, both will lay a good foundation. If both the instructors and courses are good and you have access to lab with equipment to work on, I would go for the cisco courses. Most Microsoft concepts can be covered on a virtual lab that you can build yourself with a reasonable PC and eval software. Getting access to Cisco equipment is harder.
    Andy

• Options
    Although I have exposure to Cisco hardware, I do not consider myself a network admin and I have never taken a cisco exam, so I will defer that those the have.

You want to go to Info Sec, but have an opportunity for free Network (Cisco) or System (Microsoft). While neither path is specifically Info Sec, both will lay a good foundation. If both the instructors and courses are good and you have access to lab with equipment to work on, I would go for the cisco courses. Most Microsoft concepts can be covered on a virtual lab that you can build yourself with a reasonable PC and eval software. Getting access to Cisco equipment is harder.

so go network your saying? cool, yeah the school i go to is nonprofit so instructors have a passion to be there. its in detroit and it gets alot of donors/sponsors plus state attention. honostly i have the kind of mentality where i want to do it ALL but i want to do security ect eventually and like u said as long as i have good labs go network admin.