Options

GNS3 with Virtual Box and Windows 10

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I finally got some time to integrate Virtual Box into GNS3. I have been working the advanced OSPF chapters in Route pretty well and getting the hang of the commands. Loaded up Windows 10 and built some IPsec tunnels and the way we go. Once I get home I'm going to build a full enterprise network with a domain controller with DHCP and an ACS server. Pretty cool stuff! Windows 10 looks like its going to be a keeper for sure. Its more like Windows 7 with features from 8.1. From this point on I don't think I'm ever buying lab equipment again.

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this with the 'technical preview'? Just checked my schools MSDN account (why do I still have access?!) and it looks like that's available to me...I may have to give it a go
  • Options
    It is the technical preview. Looks like Microsoft might have gotten it right this time.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good stuff. Microsoft seems to always flop on the in-between releases like ME, Vista, 8.x. I need to get back into continuing to build on my network skills. It will be time to renew or upgrade my CCNA before I know it, and I believe GNS3 will be the way to go from here on out...except if I can get my hands on an ASA 5510.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now that I know Windows 10 will have a start menu I need to know if it will have a short key sequence to shutdown windows

Windows XP uses:
    Windows key, u, u

Windows Vista uses:
    Windows key, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, u

Windows 7 uses:
    Windows key, Right Arrow, Enter

Please don't tell me Windows 10 is:
    Windows key, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Enter
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Priston wrote: »
    Now that I know Windows 10 will have a start menu I need to know if it will have a short key sequence to shutdown windows

Windows XP uses:
    Windows key, u, u

Windows Vista uses:
    Windows key, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, u

Windows 7 uses:
    Windows key, Right Arrow, Enter

Please don't tell me Windows 10 is:
    Windows key, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Up Arrow, Enter

It'll be the Contra code.
  • Options
    Alight, I skipped some reading of BGP to build this monster of a lab. Everything works like a Corp network should. We have a ISP router that's bridged to my Digi modem to simulate real Internet traffic. A corp office with a branch office. IPsec GRE tunnel, helper addresses, DHCP/DNS server, Doman Controller, 2 new shiny Windows 10 VM's. I really like using OSPF now and getting used all the commands such as my new favorite "passive interface default" an then using the "no" command to assign your interfaces. Here I some screen shots of my past hour or so of work. Surprisingly its not to bad on performance.

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Alight, I skipped some reading of BGP to build this monster of a lab. Everything works like a Corp network should. We have a ISP router that's bridged to my Digi modem to simulate real Internet traffic. A corp office with a branch office. IPsec GRE tunnel, helper addresses, DHCP/DNS server, Doman Controller, 2 new shiny Windows 10 VM's. I really like using OSPF now and getting used all the commands such as my new favorite "passive interface default" an then using the "no" command to assign your interfaces. Here I some screen shots of my past hour or so of work. Surprisingly its not to bad on performance.

Looks pretty slick. Would you mind expanding a little on the digi modem?? Don't know too much about them and I'm all googled out for the day
  • Options
    Its a Digi WR44 3G Modem/Router. It allows me to have another WAN connection and be mobile. You see a lot of police cars and RV's with these. They run off of a 12volt power supply and gives you a 4 port lan connection and 3G wireless speeds. Just like if you ever do your CCNA Voice, you can by a MagicJack and have a POTS line to play with.