US Department of State hiring again

MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,301Member
Announcement was released today

Information Management Specialist - U.S. Department of State

Announcement No: IMS-2015-0001
Position Title: Foreign Service Information Management Specialist
Open Period: 10/29/2104 – 12/02/2014
Series/Grade: FP – 2880 - 05
Salary: $43,378 - $63,702
Promotion Potential: Senior Foreign Service
Duty Locations: MANY Vacancies Throughout the World, WW
For More Information: HR/REE, 202-203-5160, [email protected]
[h=4]Who May Apply[/h] All potential applicants are strongly urged to read this entire Vacancy Announcement to ensure that they meet all of the requirements for this position before applying.
Applicants must be United States Citizens and at least 20 years old to apply. They must be at least 21 years of age to be appointed. By law, all career candidates must be appointed to the Foreign Service prior to the month in which they reach age 60.
Applicants are not eligible to reapply until one year after the application date of prior announcements.

Comments

  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Posts: 752Member
    I really wish they had cybersec specific opportunities.
  • NersesianNersesian Posts: 96Users Awaiting Email Confirmation ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to work for State, have a clean background and want to travel/live overseas, this is a cool opportunity. If you want to work for State and live in DC/NOVA, be prepared to get a roommate or a nice spot under the 395 expressway.

    @MSP-IT - check out the NSA if you're looking for cyber
    https://www.nsa.gov/psp/applyonline/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_PRE&Action=A&SiteId=1

    Fort Meade has some really nice facilities and may be worth heading out to MD for work.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,301Member
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I really wish they had cybersec specific opportunities.

    They do, but its handled by the contractors. I worked for the DoS for 4+ years as a contractor.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Posts: 752Member
    I applied for the majority of the NSA positions I was qualified for last week. Not really sure I'd be eligible as a candidate that hasn't attended a CAE school.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,301Member
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I applied for the majority of the NSA positions I was qualified for last week. Not really sure I'd be eligible as a candidate that hasn't attended a CAE school.

    I just saw that George Mason is a CAE school. Pretty cool as I will be finishing up my MS in AIT/Cyber Security in May!

    Here's a list of the schools on the CAE.
    https://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,736Mod Mod
    Hey, what the hell, why not. Would be a great opportunity. I'll apply tonight.
    Nersesian wrote: »
    If you want to work for State, have a clean background and want to travel/live overseas, this is a cool opportunity. If you want to work for State and live in DC/NOVA, be prepared to get a roommate or a nice spot under the 395 expressway.

    @MSP-IT - check out the NSA if you're looking for cyber
    https://www.nsa.gov/psp/applyonline/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_PRE&Action=A&SiteId=1

    Fort Meade has some really nice facilities and may be worth heading out to MD for work.

    Man I'd love to get into Cyberwarfare for the Gov. With the recent attacks on the US and now the White House network, things are going to heat up even more in that space.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Posts: 752Member
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Man I'd love to get into Cyberwarfare for the Gov. With the recent attacks on the US and now the White House network, things are going to heat up even more in that space.

    Despite the fact they're touting a "mass shortage" in cybersec workers, I can't seem to get a response from any Fed agency to which I've applied.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,736Mod Mod
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    Despite the fact they're touting a "mass shortage" in cybersec workers, I can't seem to get a response from any Fed agency to which I've applied.

    I've generally found that to be true for any of the Fed jobs I've applied to in the past too, although they were not InfoSec. I wonder if having certs on the resume to hit checkboxes will help? I also wonder if it's due to the sheer volume of applications?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: eJPT, Learning: Linux/CLI, Git, Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eJPT, eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python), eLearnSecurity PTSv3
  • zxbanezxbane Posts: 739Member
    JoJo,

    From my experience of recently being hired for a Gov't Infosec job I can say that there is definitely a massive amount of applicants for each opening, at least that is what I've been told by hiring managers and people reviewing applications. Also having certifications and other things that will get picked up as key words is critical too I think. I applied for quite a few positions prior to finally hearing back about a few recently and accepting one.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Posts: 4,123Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    With government jobs I always see it as luck of the draw. I've heard back times I didn't think I should have and times I thought I'd hear for sure I didn't.
    WIP:
    Python
    Java
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Posts: 327Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Absolutely love waking up to the State emails letting me know they're hiring again. That's 3 times this year! Isn't it usually 2?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • da_vatoda_vato Posts: 445Member
    Good luck to everyone that applies! I would suggest even if you're a little interested, to apply. The process takes a long time and who knows what your situation will be in year or two; just decline when the time comes if you change your mind. I submitted in February and I am still waiting on my security clearance to go through and just received my medical clearance today.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Senior Member Worldwide AvailabilityPosts: 806Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    If anyone is interested in applying and wants to know a little about the job/lifestyle feel free to ask. I've been in for almost a year and a half now (half way done with my first overseas tour).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
Sign In or Register to comment.