Options

Install software using GPO's

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
Does anyone have good step by step instructions on how to acomplish this?
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Ya but it will be best if you look into this area in more detail to understand how it is done. In most orgs, they normally use third party tools to deploy software like SMS or Altiris.
    What next?
  • Options
    Yes, I will look into this more but right now I am just trying to figure out how to do this.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First you'll need to create MSI files for the programs (if you don't already have them). Once you have these, just simply put these msi files in a shared location. Then in your group policy managment console, find the software installation policy object, create new packages and use those MSI files to populate the packages. As already suggested, you will need to read up on this, because during the process there will be decisions you will have to make such as how the packages are deployed (do you want to require user initiation or do automatic installs, etc.). We can't answer some of these questions for you, only you can, as you know your organization. There's no way around reading and doing your homework. If nothing else, create a test gp and apply it only to a test pc or user. Go through the steps, when you're stuck, come back and post a question. We respond pretty fast here, so you shouldn't have to wait to long for an answer. Get to work man!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    OK, the reason I am asking is, I am tryint to do this on a test machine and I go thru the steps to do this and reboot the test machine it says it is applying the software installation updates but when the machine finishes rebooting the programs are not there. I am simply trying to assign Office XP to a test machine thru GPs.

I have set up my shared folder.
    I made a new OU for Software Installations.
    Inside that OU I made a GP for the software installation.
    I put a checkmark in the box infront of apply group policies for "authenticated Users" and I also added teh everyone group to get thsi to work.
    Then I reboot the test machine - the little Windows XP box comes up with the lin that moves and says applying group policy but when I log in office is not installed.

When i do gpresult i see

the following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out.
    Install office XP

what does that mean??
  • Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tried this too per the instructions in my book (Sybex 2nd Ed). I had test server, set up GPO Computer Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software Installation. Right-click select -> New package. Deployed the package as "Published". The program is stored on a shared folder on the server. When I logged on my XP machine (part of domain) I go to Add/Remove programs -> Add New Program, It says no programs available on the network or something like that.

I followed the instructions (it is a lab). I don't think I missed anything. If you figure this out, post it and let us know. Sorry I couldn't help. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    sounds like you are doing it correctly.

what program are you trying to deploy?

I just got mine to work correctly. I did a few things to make it work.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jescab wrote:
    "sounds like you are doing it correctly.

what program are you trying to deploy?

I just got mine to work correctly. I did a few things to make it work".

If you are talking to me, the program was admin tools from the XP CD. I tried Open Office.msi too .
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ok. let's examine how you created your installtion packages. What did you use to create the package? These are the steps you should have followed (if you're using WinInstall). I always advise creating these images from a clean windows installation.

Once you have your clean machine setup run the WinInstall program (DISCOZ.EXE which is found in the valueadd\3rdparty\mgmt\winstle directory on the Windows 2000 Server CD).
    ) and select create a new image.

Type the name of the application as you want it to appear up to 40 Characters.

Type the name and path of a Windows Installer package (without the .msi extension) to store information about the installation. The path should be on your file server.

Enter a drive letter where WinInstall can store its temporary work files, preferably a local drive. You need a minimum of 250 megabytes of space available. WinInstall creates a temporary working directory, \DISCOVER.WRK, and will delete it after the process is completed.
    Select a drive that Discover will scan for changes. This is the drive containing the application you want to package. You must choose one drive, but it is important to select only the drive(s) where actual changes will occur as it will take longer the more stuff there is to scan. The Windows directory will automatically be scanned for the WIN INI and System INI changes, even if it is not located on the drive selected.
    Click next at the screen that asks you about file and directory exclusions.
    You will then run through the programs installation.

Once the Installation is finished and you have rebooted if necessary (depends on the program), run the program to make sure it is installed correctly and make any layout changes you want.

Run DISCOZ.EXE again and select complete the previous image.

WinInstall will again scan your computer and record what has changed since your previous run (before the install) and create your MSI Package.

Once that is finished find another Windows 2000 Computer and install your newly created MSI package and test it to make sure there were no problems

That's all there is to it. Then you can start deploying that package via Group Policy.

Please read this part ONLY CREATE ONE PACKAGE PER PROGRAM. DO NOT TRY TO CREATE A PACKAGE THAT WILL INCLUDE EVERY PIECE OF SOFTWARE YOU USE. THIS IS ASKING FOR A DISASTER.
  • Options
    WOW - i did not do anything close to that....