Pass with just Professor Messer videos?

MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have done my share of looking over the different study guides but I am curious if it is possible to pass the A+ exams by just watching the Professor Messer videos. I am finding them much easier than reading through the long boring books. Do the videos contain all the information covered?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The A+ exam is geared toward a candidate with experience and understanding of the content in the objectives as posted on the CompTIA website.

How one chooses to review, learn, retain and/or use the information listed in the objectives is up to the individual candidate. The A+ exams will likely be the easiest exams you take. First, the have the lowest passing score. Second, most folks have 'some' experience with the material prior to their exams.

That said, you'll want to flush out study habits best suited for your style because this will hopefully be the first of many exams you take in your career. Looking for short-cuts is really NOT in the spirit of an IT professional. Being smart and using time well is in the spirit of an IT pro!

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WizardoWizardo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished studying from Mike Meyers' book, and now I'm memorizing my notes. He covers a lot of stuff, ~1600 pages. I'm not sure how much you can cover that in videos.
    I will say, though, that I'm planning to go over his practice exams once I'm done with memorizing.

I agree with Plantwiz, videos seem like a shortcut. Otherwise, we'd been watching videos at school :)

My advice: pick up a book (there are plenty on Amazon and some other places...) and summarize and take notes as you study.
    Good luck!
  • MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only mention the videos because I retain information better watching videos instead of reading. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • WizardoWizardo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with you MattyIceVa. Retaining information while watching videos is easier (in my case anyway), but the problem is memorizing all the details that you need to know for the exams. e.g. number of pins on LGA sockets, minimum hardware requirements for Windows OSs, RAM speeds, Ports' numbers, class licenses IP ranges, 802.11 standards, etc.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure I believe you retain information better when watching videos. My experience has been that sometimes it hard to continue to concentrate on reading when it is technical or boring. These are different things. If you find yourself wide awake engaged in the topic and flying threw the material but forget is all the next morning then ignore my insight. However I think it's probably more of a question of learning how to study.

I think videos are great I try to watch at least one CBT Nugget a day. But they don't teach you have to pass the exam on their own. You need to have another component. The ones that stand out are previous knowledge, Labbing, and reading. I'm sure we can add to that list but you need to find a combination that works for you if you are going to go beyond A+.

Good Luck!
  • SpkjmkSpkjmk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I study a topic in the Mike Meyers book, then watch the professor Messer video relating to that topic,
    i find this combination helps me retain the information,
    regards
  • ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't recommend it. But if you try it, let us know how well you memorized his material and what your result is on the exam. You can be our guinea pig.

I did Exam Cram + Prof. Messer.

Messer makes mistakes and rushes through topics that the book covers in detail.
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the A+ 801 test with just Professor Messer videos alone and failed the test. I believe that you should use Mike Meyers book to fill in gaps from the videos. If you want to just pass to get the test over and learn little about the subject use the videos. If you want to learn more about troubleshooting and devices read the book.