Options

Extended internet into garden shed/office

Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys I need some help setting up internet into my garden shed.

Basically I have a wireless router from o2 with 12mb internet working fine in my house.

I want to extend this into my garden shed. I purchased a D-Link home plug and connected one end to the router and the second end in my shed. However this either works really really slow or it just doesnt assign a dhcp address at all.

It works fine if I plug the home plug in the conservatory power socket but not if I plug it into my shed. (Im wondering if its something to do with how the power in connected/setup in my shed)

Could you please advise how I could best troubleshoot this or any alternatives I could do to set up a working internet connection in my shed.

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Options
    nman99nman99 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Waria,

The shed that you are trying to get this working in, how far is this from your main building or were your electrical panel is at ? I'm assuming its not super far away to begin with, also do you know were the power line runs for this shed (whether or not its a direct shot or if it has to take a weird route because of something like a septic tank)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My guess is it has something to do with the quality of the wiring between your shed and the house. I have never used one of them but if it is working to one location and not another then you need to consider the path it is taking.
  • Options
    Its about 8 metres away from my conservatory and about 15 away from the main panel.

Im pretty sure the power that goes into the shed was extended from the conservatory. So it mustbve setup in a weird way.
  • Options

In that case, there is a good possibility that there is a "jump box" that is being used to piggy back off of another line in the conservatory, honestly the only way I know of checking this is to physically check the wiring and look for the splicing that was most likely done. If it is in fact using a "jump box" that would explain your problems, (it's good enough for low level power but not really for using it as a network backbone). Is wireless a possibility ? Sounds like the best place for a AP would be in your conservatory if you don't want to run a new line to the shed, would definitely be the cheapest route.
  • Options
    Happy to use a wireless option. What is the best option. I bought a cheap wireless extender from ebay but it didnt work too well and needed a constant connection via usb (means I need to stick a laptop in the conservatory permanently icon_sad.gif )

Could you kindly link me to a good option to extend my wireless efficiently?

Many thanks
  • Options

If your shed is only 8 meters from the conservatory, then I would use the same D-Link Home plug in the conservatory and put in a second wireless router there. There are other wireless repeaters out there that will simply just repeat the wireless signal from your home, but I have not had good luck with them.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    Is it that simple? Do I need to configure anything or just simply buy a wireless router and plug it into the home plug?
  • Options
    Precisely just that, the only thing I would check is the channel at which you would be broadcasting on the new router, to ensure you are not overlapping with your other wireless router or someone else's.

Not sure of your background, but for some help on that I would use this article from howtogeek.com, it explains what you are doing and how to do it, Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal
  • Options
    Fantastic. Thanks guys.. appreciate the help!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    can you post pictures of your shed/office please, i love these ideas
  • Options
    Ill try do this on the weekend for you. Dont hav much time during the week with work icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    as promised, the rest of the shed is quite messy with suitcases and other junk.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    That is a pretty sweet setup. I don't have a desk but this made me want one to setup next to my lab rack.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    That's a cool setup. Seems like I need something like that when I want to study in peace and not hear my three kids going crazy. Does it have a/c?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework