Options

Question about buying lab equipment

quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
Hello,

I am in the process of creating a home lab to study with. Supposedly the 1841s are good routers because they that can support IOS 15 (Specifically version 15.1(4)), however when I search on Ebay none of them seem to come with that version. How can I get IOS 15? Do I need to purchase a brand new router?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ordering Cisco IOS Software and Managing Licenses - Cisco

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-20321

My understanding is you acquire the license with the purchase of the device from CISCO. In essence, yes, you will need a new device from an authorized vendor.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    That's what I thought, I was hoping there was another way though. Supposedly IOS 12.4 Still works for the CCNA so I guess I'll make due with that. Thanks!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just buy them. For a lab, I really wouldn't care about licensing.

At the end of the day you will end up earning cisco money as you'd be wanting to work with their equipment
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Just buy them. For a lab, I really wouldn't care about licensing.

At the end of the day you will end up earning cisco money as you'd be wanting to work with their equipment

What do you mean by "cisco money?"
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    google Packet Tracer 6.1
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco now tests on IOS 15. 12.4 will be just fine.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Look at the differences between 12.4 and 15. For CCNA level it shouldn't be a huge deal...my CCNA lab was 12.4 and I passed the new version. Going through the OCG, I could do everything Odom covered. Is 15 more ideal? Of course but if you can't find anything with the license just grab the equipment when it becomes available (and you could sell off your old equipment if desired). If you want a good lab for higher certifications you will end up needing more equipment anyways. 1841's have several benefits (ZBFs, 15 and so on).
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you buy the 1841 router and want to run IOS 15 then you will need to upgrade the NVRAM to 256 and Flash to 128 to run it. Then you can type the IOS you want into the Google box and access the top secret apache server located in the frozen tundra of Siberia and load it onto your Compact Flash and your good to go. Warnings do apply! Or open a Cisco account and purchase a license for more then you will buy the router on eBay for.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    ZERO need for ios specific for CCENT or CCNA in my opinion.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer we'll work just fine.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Packet tracer can work just fine for a lot of people, however there are many of us that want to have hands on with real equipment.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, aside from configuration? Learning how to actually reset a switch to factory default needs hands on gear. On router, you can do it via PT or GNS3. Also you can use the labkit if you proceed to CCNP. I was able to buy a labkit from eBay for more or less 150$ but since I live in Asia and seller is from UK. It amounted to 320$ due to shipping cost. Its a really a big advantage if you have your own gear though. It gives you the confidence in handling/configuring live gears.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to think of real gear as extra credit. You can certainly do everything in packet tracer to pass the CCENT and CCNA. I used it for most of my studies. However I also have a real lab and learned lots while building and configuring it.

If you want to do the minimum and pass the test you can save some money and learn all of the theory in simulators. If your looking to do networking for a living I would suggest getting at least a small lab. The 1841 is the router I recommend and the current IOS on it is not really going to be an issue with your CCNA study.

Each of my routers runs a slightly different version of the IOS and I decided to leave it that way because it exposed me to some of the differences as I was learning. Keep in mind your learning so even if something does not work figuring out why is a big part of the process. One of my routers does not support IPv6 but just understanding why was enough I didn't need to install a new IOS.

My advice to you would be to buy something that works just knowing it's upgradable. When you start to understand more about the systems you will start to understand when and why it needs to be upgraded. Until that point it's not really nessassary to upgrade ahead of time.
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    If your looking to do networking for a living I would suggest getting at least a small lab.

This is the exact reason why I bought a labkit. :)