Options

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Servers

CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
I've been meeting with several vendors trying to get pricing to virtualize our environment (10-15 servers).
Several of the vendors are quoting the Dell PowerEdge VRTX blade system. Does anyone have any experience with this system running VMware?

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you have a huge user count or some crazy db loads your configuration will be more important than the box you get. There are so many places to bottleneck data flow it's rarely down to a server being underpowered.

If you're really need to dot the i's get a similar quote from hp for your setup and see what's different.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    These are what we use in our data center (we have 20 of them) & I am super happy with how they perform. What would you be doing with them?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IIRC the vrtx servers are setup to have up to 4 blades a chassis and use DAS. We looked at them for a foreign office but budget cuts happened. We did however get 2 dell m1000 chassis with the m620 blades and it is what we run our Hyper-V and VMWare infrastructure on. Those have been great so far. The m620 blades fit in the vrtx chassis from what I remember so for the blade side those have worked great for over a year now. The m1000 chassis fits up to 16 m620 blades so if you are just looking to a single chassis that may be the one to go with. Either way I don't think you could go wrong with either setup and the price is about the best around if you bet them up on it.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Thanks everyone. My corporate IT staff specified that all "server" hardware must be HP. Going back to my vendors again.