Options

Ccent lab

vharjanivharjani Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I just recently passed my Network+, and now I want to jump right into getting my CCNA. I am currently going the two exam route since I am about 5 months into my IT career. I currently have the Network+ and Security+. Someone told me to just use the videos on CBT Nuggets and I should be able to pass the CCENT no problem, is that true? If not then which is the best book to get in order to study for the CCENT. Also what equipment should i get for the labs. I want something I can use for later exams such as the CCNP when I am ready for that. I have been looking online for labs and found this one Amazon.com: The CCNA - Cisco CCNA & CCENT Lab Training Kit CCNP Study CBT: Computers & Accessories. Would this be too much to begin with? and price wise is it okay? Thanks for all your help in advance. I appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $500 is a good chunk of change....I'd go with Odom's CCNA book and Chris Bryant's Udemy videos. As for labbing Packet Tracer or GNS3 would work just fine and probably save you a lot of money...
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    vharjanivharjani Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Isn't that a lot of equipment for $500 though? I'm just asking since I don't know. Also wouldn't I be able to use it for the CCNP as well?
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't look like a good deal to me, quite overpriced, actually. I'd use GNS3 and packet tracer until you know what you want.

If you really want to buy some equipment now, get a couple of 1841 routers (they are quiet and can run ios 15 with flash/memory upgrade). Also, a 2950, a 3550 and a 3560 for STP labs. It shouldn't be much over $300 and you can use most of it for CCNP.

I wouldn't rush buying ccnp-viable equipment though, as it will only get cheaper by the time you get to ccnp.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    That is way more than I paid for everything I have, I have 4 1841's 5 2950' 2 2500 series routers, several plug in cards, all of the 1841's have memory upgraded to the max and running large CF cards with IOS 15.X on them and I have an 8 port card in my computer and I have only about $350 in all of this. So for what they are offering, I would say the price is pretty high.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say you have about $300 worth of hardware there. You have to decide what that rack and the training materials, plus the convinence of one stop shopping is to you. But, all the cf cards are small, you are going to have to get bigger ones. In the future, you are going to want to upgrade the dram memory on the 2821 also. And, of course, what is the return policy? And, I hope the shipping isn't much.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Videos alone will not work unless you already know the information. CCENT is full of lots of little details that videos alone can't really teach you.

I like real equipment and simulators. They serve two different purposes in my opinion. Simulators make learning theory easy because they are so quick to set up and test new ideas. Real equipment will better prepare you for walking into an unknown network closet and trying to figure out what you have. If your fixing someone else's mess you can't just call up a new router in packet tracer and start configuring it.

I would not buy equipment yet but if you do I recommend the 1841 routers.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright bud, I'm going to lay out a good budget for you that will provide you for the material for CCNA, and the lab equipment for up to the CCNP. $500 is not a ridiculous amount as a good CCNP lab could cost you at least 300. The more the merrier! Here's my recommendation to you.

Book: $40 (Both CCENT and CCNA)
    CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library: Wendell Odom: 9781587143878: Amazon.com: Books

Videos: $99
    https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/?dtcode=ZieZrLV1NWhn but if you wait you probably can easily get a discount. They have deals going on all the time. If not those, look into the CBT nuggets vids.

Routers: $100-150 (Depending on what you get)
    For routing you can always use GNS3, if not, get a couple of either 1841s, 2811s, or a combo of the two (You can go cheaper, but these have a good set of features on them)

2X L2 switches: $40-$50 (2950)
    1-2X L3 switches: $40-$400 (3550, 3750, 3560)

Obviously the numbers vary a little bit, but if you really want the good L3 switches, you can just do all routing on GNS3 for now and allocate the majority of the budget to the switches.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes for now GNS3 and Packet Tracer will work for CCENT/CCNA but if you are also preparing for the CCNP exams it is much better to build your own home lab with actual Cisco routers/switches.