Options

Think an A.A.S. degree will have much value?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Right now I have an A+, and a Network+ certification. I'm trying to get my foot in the door in IT, coming from a construction background.

Now part of my construction apprenticeship involved 4 years of college, but no actual degree. It did however "almost" qualify me for an A.A.S. Degree (Associates of applied sciences), if I take 4 additional college classes, I believe math, language, and a couple others, all of them just stupid prerequisite type classes. Technically this is only considered a 2 year degree.

I'm trying to figure out if this is even worth pursuing? Do you think having an A.A.S. will do much for me in the field of IT? Especially considering the time and money I'd spend doing those 4 classes, I could likely spend getting a CCENT or a low level microsoft cert instead. So if we compared that way, which do you think would be more valuable, a guy with some college, but no degree, and an A+, Net+, and CCENT. Or a guy with an AAS, A+, and Network+?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see why it has to be one or the other with the certs and degree. Do both and give yourself the best chance you can to get a job. Not like you're spending a lot of time out partying and drinking. ;)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I had an Associates up until 2012 and did fine in the job market. It's nice to have because you can transfer it to a bachelors at a later time.
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What will the AAS be in? If it is in an IT related field it will be useful, that being said some HR Dept. will need to see a degree (any degree) as a check mark to move you through the application process. It seems to me that the hiring requirements have 3 parts; degree, certs and experience and you need to be able to show 2 out of the 3 to have a chance at the job.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Having ANY degree will always trump NO degree (when education is being considered.) Besides that, certs expire, become old and outdated, even irrelevant (MCSE on Windows 2000, for example) - but education never expires. Go for it!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I don't see why it has to be one or the other with the certs and degree. Do both and give yourself the best chance you can to get a job. Not like you're spending a lot of time out partying and drinking. ;)

Although you should be spending SOME time out partying and drinking if you aren't bogged down with responsibilities yet in life icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    A few years ago, I would have said that you would be fine with only an AAS degree in the job market.

Times have changed....almost every job listing I see these days requires a Bachelor degree, even help desk positions. It will really vary depending on your area and the opportunities there, but I recommend skipping the Associate degree and going straight for the bachelor degree.

My recommendation, look at public (non-profit schools) for programs that interest you. You will find many WGU advocates here including myself. It's great for IT professionals because it allows you to pursue certifications and a Bachelor degree at the same time. I would be glad to refer you if you would like (it would waive your application fee).

Going for an AAS and certification is a good option as well, but I really think your time would be better invested by pursuing a bachelor degree. Like philz mentioned, you could always get your AAS and transfer to a 4 year school for the bachelor, but it might take you longer to graduate depending on what credits transfer.

Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you only consider NON-PROFIT REGIONALLY accredited schools. For-profit (Nationally accredited) schools are not worth the high cost.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having an Associates is better then not having one. Having one in IT is even better. If you go back and haven't found a job yet, see if the school can help you get an internship.

A bachelors is even better, but sometimes it is nice to get the associates out of the way just encase something happens along the way to the bachelors.

Since you have 4 years of schooling, you may want to look into Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak. Their programs have more general and free electives and you may get more transfer credits then you would for WGU.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Well I don't believe the AAS can transfer to a Bachelors degree, and a bachelors degree is simply out of the question. I've explored that option many times, but there is simply no way I can currently afford it when I have a mortgage payment, unless I found some high paying job and took night classes.

As far as getting AAS and more certs, that may be an option for the future, but right now I'm in such need for a job I'm worried more about the short term, what I can do quickest. The AAS could be quick since I just need some silly math, language, etc classes, but it was a matter of figuring out if its even worth the effort, considering it is completely unrelated to the field. So far sounds like it might be good though.
  • Options
    what classes have you taken?
    Andy

• Options
    Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would go for the bachelors degree. i am currently working on a bachelors degree and hoping it will make a difference. MY AAS only got me a Help Desk job for two years. I am struggling to find a job now because the minimum requirement is to have a Bachelors degree now a days. I like to say the Bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An AAS in IT will help get you in the door. You will progess quicker with an AAS and a CCNA & MCSA. A person with a certs may find it harder to break in without experience versus someone with a degree and certs. But know an associates is good to have but it can bottleneck your career. keep it moving towards a bachelors then a masters if you choose.
  • Options
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    You will progess quicker with an AAS

I've heard this same saying "You'll progress much quicker" with a degree a number of times. Can anyone explain this in more detail how a degree helps you "progress quicker". I understand it helping with a foot in the door, but once your in, shouldn't progress and promotions be based on performance, skills, or other solid metrics?

Also I'm looking into those colleges mentioned above Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak. Never heard of them, but they seem to advertise being good about being more accepting of prior degrees/training, or even possibly giving credit for personal knowledge. Anyone actually used them, or know if they are credible (and more importantly if employers find them credible).
  • Options
    mxmaniac,

I just wanted to point out to you, that tuition at WGU is only $6000 a year, and many people have completed the program within 2 years. A bachelor degree for $12,000 or less is a bit of a steal. That cost includes vouchers for certifications and all of the course materials.

I would agree with armymanis, a bachelor degree is the new high school diploma (academic inflation). It's an employers market right now. While an IT manager might be more likely to hire a AAS candidate with certifications over someone with a Bachelor and no-experience, the same is not true for some HR managers. Some HR people might throw your resume in the trash immediately since they use the bachelor degree as a filter for many positions even when they should not require it. The firm that I work for requires every employee to have a bachelor degree (or be near completion).
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Which by the way, you would receive transfer credit for your certifications. I doubt that WGU would accept your application if you did not have those certifications though.

They generally don't accept applicants without one of the following
    *IT experience
    *AAS degree in IT
    *IT certifications
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I have an A.S. degree and it has never stopped me from obtaining a job. I also make more money than all of my friends who have bachelors degrees.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a A.A.S and when i go in for interviews they as about experience. So if you have one it thats great but, I would get your Bachelors soon. Its always good to further your education and have it on your resume
  • Options
    mxmaniac wrote: »
    Also I'm looking into those colleges mentioned above Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak. Never heard of them, but they seem to advertise being good about being more accepting of prior degrees/training, or even possibly giving credit for personal knowledge. Anyone actually used them, or know if they are credible (and more importantly if employers find them credible).

I am working on the Information Systems concentration at Charter Oak. All three are regionally accredited. Can't say if employers find them credible, but I guess I'll find out. With my experience, I'm looking at the degree to satisfy the HR check box and allow me to apply for grad school.

I have a lot of credits and the structure of the program at Charter Oak allowed me to transfer 105 credits towards the degree, where WGU would have been closer to 70-75. I'm probably the exception, but when I saw that you had 4 years, it might apply to you too.
    Andy

• Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mxmaniac wrote: »
    I've heard this same saying "You'll progress much quicker" with a degree a number of times. Can anyone explain this in more detail how a degree helps you "progress quicker". I understand it helping with a foot in the door, but once your in, shouldn't progress and promotions be based on performance, skills, or other solid metrics?

Some jobs have requirements point blank. I cant apply for a senior role at my own job until I have my bachelor's. You will have to look at the job requirements for jobs. It will say prefer or required...so if you dont have the degree dont bother about applying as your resume will go in the trash. Now if you can get the experience you should still prosper but know your limiting you options.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would get the AAS degree as soon as possible. It's just another checkbox the HR person can check off on their list of requirements. Even if it's not totally relevant, it's worth having if it can be obtained quickly/cheaply.

I have an AAS and know several people with them in the industry. I have not personally been questioned of my competency due to having an AAS instead of an BS degree by people in the industry. However, I have had people not in the industry question me.

CIO/director roles will be hard to obtain without a Bachelor's or Master's degree, but if you have an Associate's, it can be easier to obtain those later on.