Options

Got a damn sweet gig and I haven't graduated college yet.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got a Network Engineer position for GM and I haven't graduated yet!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D And what better way to celebrate then with my CCNA studying! Just got the call today and I feel like a million bucks!

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Hope it goes well keep us posted how it goes. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats!! It always feels great to have a job before you even get the degree (felt great for me icon_wink.gif).

Do you start after you finish school, or how are you going to work that out? I wouldn't recommend dropping school altogether if you can avoid it...even if you have to switch to part time, just keep knocking it out until you are done.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Did the job you apply for have any requirements like 5 years of network engineering expierence? or did it say it was entry level?
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Correction just entry level. I'm not sure if it is before or after school. I'm assuming after school but I will find out when I receive my contract packet from GM. Makes me glad to know that I have what it takes to go into IT. Better then typical helpdesk "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (IT Crowd joke) type of work.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Correction just entry level. I'm not sure if it is before or after school. I'm assuming after school but I will find out when I receive my contract packet from GM. Makes me glad to know that I have what it takes to go into IT. Better then typical helpdesk "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (IT Crowd joke) type of work.

help desk ******* sucks, thats where im at, i'm working on my ccna to get out as well, didn't believe in certs until i realized my job sucks, only thing i have going for me is my pension and benefits, and a stable job
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    ElementaryOSElementaryOS Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you!
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HUGE congrats! Happy for you !!!!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the support! And a great way to celebrate is buying Transcender practice exams and a voucher for my CCENT. It's pretty exciting to say the least. I know that GM is very heavy when it comes to Cisco so I at least plan on getting my CCENT before graduation then finish ICND2 after I graduate but before I start working. Hopefully GM will pay for more certs.
    gbdavidx, certs will make a huge difference between candidates. They validate knowledge and skills in a particular field. Since I was in school I decided to tackle on certs while in school to avoid getting a helpdesk job out of school. While most college kids drink, I hit the cert books. Then while they get a crap job, I'm making good money, good job and no regretting my college years.
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congrats on the job.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Very nice! Congratulations on this. I like your way of celebrating haha.

Keep us posted with updates on your new position. icon_cheers.gif