Options

Has anyone taken a VMware On-Demand Class recently?

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got the green light to take the ICM class for v5.5. I saw that they are offering it in a "on-demand" way that still satisfies the course requirement for taking the VCP-DCV exam AND includes a exam voucher. I have been doing lots of labs,etc. on the Cloudcred.com site for team techexams, so I am familiar with how the lab structure works. I did see that you have to take module assessments and a final assessment in order to get credit for the class and receive the voucher.

I am just wanting some of your thoughts if you have taken any of the on-demand course and what you liked/disliked about them. I took a Live ICM course some years ago for v4.1 and didnt really like the fact that they didnt allow you to "lab" after the class and only during the 8 hours each day.

My other question to everyone is, does anyone know how many (if any at all) CPE's you get for this course? I am in need of CPE's for my CISSP and cannot seem to find a definitive answer if these would fall under the Group B ones or not. I have to get 20 by April/May 2015.

Thanks everyone.

Breadfan
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    Todd BTodd B Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently taking one now. Fit's my schedule really well... and was really affordable. I will be done by the end of the year and hopefully VCP5-DCV.
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage - CWA NETT Academy

Course comes with e-Book, exam voucher and my own lab environment. So cost was my all-in cost.
  • Options
    goody658goody658 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi I just had a look and could not find it on there web site, would i be able to take this course from Australia?
    Or do i need to be US citizen?

Talking about this course VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage - CWA NETT Academy
  • Options
    Hi Todd B

Do you or anyone else know if international students can use this course. I emailed the CWA admins but they are away all week.
    I am assuming that it will also link into the myvmware site as well, do you know if this is the case?
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    So the class that @todd b posted - that one is just a 2 month course? I would have guessed it would be a bit longer than that.

I'm definitely intrigued to do it, study for a month or two before starting, then go in and finish off strong. Saving the link, thanks!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    goody, I have been told that it does count as an authorized course toward VCP5-DCV and will appear under myLearn account when completed. Also, fwiw, another student's profile says he's located in Speichersdorf, Germany.

joemy, it's a self paced online course. I'm about 25% through it so far and am very pleased with it. I was provided an eBook that coincides with the course content as well as my own lab environment to practice in (which is very nice by the way). I have been told that I will receive a 70% off voucher for the VCP exam toward the end of the class... I have not received this yet, but then again I'm not ready for it yet either.

Overall, I would recommend this course, especially at the affordable price and my ability to start so soon.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying. I had actually forgotten I had made this thread until I saw more people responded today. I see you are taking an online course from a community college.

I decided to do the On-Demand from VMware itself. I'm about a quarter through it. I like that I can go at my own pace and not have to cram all of this in in 5 days. The only thing that is lacking in this course is that the labs have some serious lag issues at times. You download all of the manuals and resource guides as you go, so at least they believe in saving trees.

The exam voucher is included, and I didnt know until I signed up, that you cannot move on to the next module until you pass the previous module's assessment. You also will not receive the voucher if you dont pass the final assessment. This must be new or just pertain to the On-Demand classes, b/c I dont remember having to do this in the v4.1 ICM classes.

Good luck to everyone taking it and studying for the exam. I am building a study guide directly built from the blueprint (v3.5) as well as flashcards from mnemosyne project. I will be happy to share these if anyone wants them.

Breadfan.
    Mark Twain

• Options
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying the "on-demand" style. I don't think I could have been gone for a 1 week on-site course, and my wallet (I'm funding this) couldn't spend $4k. I have been very impressed with CWA/Nett labs.
  • Options
    Great sounds good, I'll book the next course thanks for the info guys cheers.
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    I decided to do the On-Demand from VMware itself.

Breadfan.

What On-Demand VMWare class? How much is that? Do you have a link?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Catalogs & Schedules - North Lake College

On the left side of the page, click on Spring 2015 under the CE Schedule, scroll down to Computers and Technology, and there you will find the vSphere 5.0 classes they are offering, the cost ($236) and the schedules for them. Best way to register is to call the phone number found on the original Continuing Education page that can be viewed by clicking Continuing Education tab at the top of the screen.

You can sign up over the phone, pay by credit card once they register you, the price is $236 flat (be sure to tell them it is a non-credit class). You may have to go through some motions to get your ecampus account setup, but I'd sign up ASAP if you are considering the VCP510 exam - Again this class only covers the 510 and NOT the 550.
  • Options
    What On-Demand VMWare class? How much is that? Do you have a link?

THIS is the class I am taking....https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=39210&ui=www_edu. The vSphere ICM for 5.5
    Mark Twain

• Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one...

Has anyone successfully completed the VCP-DCV using this style of on-demand training? I am really intrigued by this as I am really interested in pursuing my VCP, but taking a week off to sit in a class room just isn't a reality for me right now. How good are the classes?

Also, is it true that upon purchase the on-demand training is only available for 45 days?
  • Options
    deltaman2012deltaman2012 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Catalogs & Schedules - North Lake College

On the left side of the page, click on Spring 2015 under the CE Schedule, scroll down to Computers and Technology, and there you will find the vSphere 5.0 classes they are offering, the cost ($236) and the schedules for them. Best way to register is to call the phone number found on the original Continuing Education page that can be viewed by clicking Continuing Education tab at the top of the screen.

You can sign up over the phone, pay by credit card once they register you, the price is $236 flat (be sure to tell them it is a non-credit class). You may have to go through some motions to get your ecampus account setup, but I'd sign up ASAP if you are considering the VCP510 exam - Again this class only covers the 510 and NOT the 550.

Hi, I checked the website. I do not find the correct link in the website to register for the class. Currently they are teaching for VCP 550. Please pointme to the correct link.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stanly Community College also accepts out of country students. You can visit our VMware Academy page at https://vmware.stanly.edu/.
    goody658 wrote: »
    Hi Todd B

Do you or anyone else know if international students can use this course. I emailed the CWA admins but they are away all week.
    I am assuming that it will also link into the myvmware site as well, do you know if this is the case?
  • Options
    ramseyramsey Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todd B wrote: »
    goody, I have been told that it does count as an authorized course toward VCP5-DCV and will appear under myLearn account when completed. Also, fwiw, another student's profile says he's located in Speichersdorf, Germany.

joemy, it's a self paced online course. I'm about 25% through it so far and am very pleased with it. I was provided an eBook that coincides with the course content as well as my own lab environment to practice in (which is very nice by the way). I have been told that I will receive a 70% off voucher for the VCP exam toward the end of the class... I have not received this yet, but then again I'm not ready for it yet either.

Overall, I would recommend this course, especially at the affordable price and my ability to start so soon.

Todd, i just ended the course, just out of curiosity how long did it take for you to get the class to show up on the vmware site? Ive been trying to contact the administrators and finally someone got back to me after 4 days. but all they said was they will contact me soon.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Has anyone achieved the VCP utilizing the VMWare official On-Demand training?
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    burfect wrote: »
    Has anyone achieved the VCP utilizing the VMWare official On-Demand training?
    Probably, it's the same materials and labs as an in-person class.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com