Options

Finished WGU BS-IT my experience

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
On Friday, I finished my bachelor of science in IT- software with WGU. I thought I'd take a minute to post some details about my experience that I couldn't find elsewhere but I hope will be helpful to others on this journey.

The program took me 28 months from start to finish. I transferred in my CCNA and Security+, which took out 4 classes. Everything else, I did at WGU - including all gen ed credits. I did everything through Sallie Mae and made payments while in school. I owe less than the cost of 1 year's attendance at a typical college.

I passed all WGU assessments on the first go and used only Kryterion. The webcam was never an issue.

I never had anything returned for revision from TaskStream. My taskstream assignments were always graded quickly. My capstone was 43 pages.

I failed one vendor assessment - the OCA Java 7. I sent a re-study plan to the course mentor and had no issues getting a second attempt approved.

Best of luck to everyone currently attending school or planning to attend school. You can do it!
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on completing the degree!
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congratulations. I hope to finish in the next term.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! I JUST got word that I have been officially accepted into the BS:IT Security program at WGU. I start January 1st. Glad to see your success with the university! It really encourages me and gets me pumped even more to start icon_study.gif
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grats! I love WGU.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, its a good feeling getting that capstone back. I just finished the BS IT: Security last month. I'm now trying to get 2 of the Master's classes in since I have 20 weeks left in the semester.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on finishing your degree!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    gelgel Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Are you going into the programming side of tech?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! To answer Gel's question, no, I will not at this time. I thought for a long time my career path would be to a developer but right now that's not the case. I had the opportunity to work on an online banking conversion this last year and with that had a lot more exposure to both the IT Security and software developer side of the house. My official title right now is system administrator/software developer. I definitely enjoy writing code but the security side is much more interesting to me.

To that end, last month I accepted a new position at my same organization as an IT Security Analyst. My upcoming study plans are (in order)
    CCNA:Security (my CCNA expires in May), WGU MSISA and CISSP.
  • Options
    Blu3Blu3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! To answer Gel's question, no, I will not at this time. I thought for a long time my career path would be to a developer but right now that's not the case. I had the opportunity to work on an online banking conversion this last year and with that had a lot more exposure to both the IT Security and software developer side of the house. My official title right now is system administrator/software developer. I definitely enjoy writing code but the security side is much more interesting to me.

To that end, last month I accepted a new position at my same organization as an IT Security Analyst. My upcoming study plans are (in order)
    CCNA:Security (my CCNA expires in May), WGU MSISA and CISSP.

What made you choose WGU for your Masters?
  • Options
    Blu3 wrote: »
    What made you choose WGU for your Masters?

The competency based self paced format really works for me. I also really appreciated the flat rate tuition. I felt like the pricing was fair and free of 'nickel and dime' fees.

I really liked WGU overall.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wow Carl....congrats icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□