Options

Desktop Support Tech and Tier 1 Help Desk levels

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am pursuing a desktop support tech and multiple help desk tier 1 positions and I think I am a better fit with the former. I've had recruiters tell me that you usually start at help desk then move into a desktop support role, he was pushing a help desk position. Pay range seems to be about equal. Desktop support seems much more technical. Is desktop support on a hypothetical "higher level" then help desk tier 1?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That would be yes
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends on the company; I've seen companies use these titles interchangeably so you will need to look at the job responsibilities. That being said, Desktop Support is generally considered more advanced than Help Desk.
  • Options
    It turns out the desktop support position was looking for 2+ years of experience, which I don't have. I have independent contractor listed as helping family and friends which they thought was professional experience. This is the second time someone has taken this as experience since I added it a few weeks ago. I added it because my technical skills section doesn't agree with my experience section. I was getting about the same amount of callbacks without it, should I remove the independent contractor under experience?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's misleading, I'd say to either remove it or reword it to clarify.
  • Options
    -Independent Contractor, 1996-Present
    Break/Fix and maintain family and friends computers and networks. Assisted 100’s online.

Is this misleading? Suggestions on editing it?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I see that a lot on resumes and I always take it for how you described it. I don't think it is misleading.
  • Options
    Do you see it as a positive addition for entry level positions?

Should it still be included after working a short IT contract, say 3 months?
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Unfortunately, there are times when you have to BS to get in the door. HR won't let you bypass their group till you meet the specific experience criteria. Additionally, you may look into working 2nd or 3rd shift IT jobs. Those shift hours are harder to fill and less stringent.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Did you have the thread where you helped people with VMware ESXi stuff online, without charging them? I think the 'Assisted 100's online' is misleading because it doesn't really explain what you did. Also, I would say 'Independent Consultant' instead of 'Independent Contractor' and describe it as

Freelance technical support for family and friends SOHO computers and networks

Also, what exactly did you do with their computers or networks? It's one thing if you setup a domain, pushed out policies...it's another if you setup a computer and ran an antivirus scan. Same goes for networking...did you setup/configure a switch, or just plugin an autoconfig'd router?
  • Options
    anhtran35: I'm open to some 2nd shift and all 3rd shift but those are pretty rare here unless it's outrageous hours like 12 hour shifts for many days in a row. Which I can't handle and medically might be really bad for me. I've been told to avoid stressful situations whenever possible.

lsud00d: Yes I did the esxi and xenserver stuff online. I have Xenserver listed in skills along with things like active directory, lan/wlan setups, etc. I use a functional resume, everything is mentioned in skills sections and the irrelevant work history is buried. I've had very good luck with it. That's a great suggestion, I will use it thanks. I've always thought the assisted 100's online as a sentence wasn't very appealing.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Short answer to whether Desktop is more technical than help desk tier 1. Yes.

Long Answer. Yeeeeeesssssssssssssss
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Short answer to whether Desktop is more technical than help desk tier 1. Yes.

Long Answer. Yeeeeeesssssssssssssss

This post made my day!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Should I put Independent Consultant on applications? Should it be the top/current employment for someone unemployed?
  • Options
    berad I replied in your thread.

I'm leaning towards no on independent consultant on an application and will be sending it soon but advice for the future would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    beradberad Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Owner/Operator

06/2008 – Present

[FONT=&amp]IT troubleshooting, operating system troubleshooting and repair Computer/Laptop hardware and software installs and upgrades. Remove malware virus; Adware and spyware removal, and internet optimization. Registry repair and cleaning. Data retrieval (documents, pictures, media etc.). Web browsing optimization and redirects, networking, internet “Wi-Fi” setup and trouble shooting. Printer setup. Printer networking. Printer trouble shooting, networking client server and peer to peer. Configure internet protocol addresses as well as domain name systems. Setting up wireless access points with routers/gateways. Device networking and smart phone set up integrated data networks, and voice networks, as well as virtual private networks. Remote access repairs and optimization/tweaks with programs like Team Viewer.

I saw you response techfiend, and thank you. I already did that interview. Tomorrow the interview is far more advanced.. I'm just looking for a good list of helpdesk questions or resource in which to be prepared.

@techfiend above is the very first thing on my resume'. I have drummed up quite a bit of interest with my resume' in a short period of time. I would put any applicable experience you have.

[/FONT]
  • Options
    If/when I do switch back to a chronological resume and if I don't have any relevant by then I will put something like that on my resume. The only thing is owner/operator is pretty synonymous with truck driving in my experience.

It's nice to see you are getting interviews. I'm in the same situation, getting lots of interviews but that's where my problem starts as I'm horrible with interviews but with practice hopefully I'm getting better. It would be nice if they weren't so behavior, critical thinking oriented and more technical. Have you had the same experiences with interviews?
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    In general, yes. But they're just titles after all.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Desktop usually always is more technical than Helpdesk unless its something like POS, or application server support.
    Typically the hierarchy is lvl 1HD, lvl 1 Destkop or lvl 2 Helpdesk, lvl 3 HD or level 2 Desktop, then level 3 and level 4 desktop if the company has a tier like that. Level 3 Desktop or above would be Lead, Enterprise Desktop Administrator or Desktop Engineer or Executive / Conference support. As someone who has worked from the bottom (HD) to a Sr. level Desktop Engineer, Desktop usually has much less work than HD guys and is far less stressful. I can tell you that I will not go back to HD unless it pays serious money. In fact I'm looking at becoming a Security Expert or Network Engineer or System Administrator (I have experience and certs in all 3 fields).
  • Options
    What would internal service desk analyst for 250 employee SMB be more comparable to?
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    What would internal service desk analyst for 250 employee SMB be more comparable to?
    IMO, POOP. But that's just myself being burned out from working too many HD jobs. IMO you are much better off going Desktop route.
  • Options
    I was approached for DS but it required 2+ years they thought independent contractor was contract work. I haven't seen other DS jobs that didn't require experience. I'm really interested in entry level noc and computer operations, they exist here but are uncommon but there I can get into technicai things and learn a lot.
  • Options
    If you are A+ certified that should be enough to get you into Desktop. I believe A+ Qualifies as 6-12 months of experience. When i started my first official Desktop Job I had to call and then meet with the recruiters in person. I was young, eager and energetic...I felt I could do the job and I wanted to do it. They gave me some temp jobs to try me out...then I got placed on a 2-3 year contract. Attitude and perseverance is key to getting your first desktop job.
  • Options
    I've applied for some but the rare reply has always asked if I had experience, which I don't. Would love to get into those instead of help desk. I just discussed an interesting position with a recruiter. It's onsite tech support dealing mainly with Dell servers/workstations, cisco routers and printers, it's not customer facing. Too bad it's only about a month long contract. A good entry for me and hopefully would show good experience for future positions.

Attitude is somewhat of an issue for me, it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about a job that doesn't really interest me. Perseverance has been an issue for me in the past but hopefully not this time, at least I hope to get a job before forced into desperation again.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My title is Helpdesk (depends, I've seen multiple titles for myself) and basically we have 5 IT people. 2 developers (1 is an intern), a CIO, a Sr. Systems Engineer, and myself. I am first response for everything. I do all of the desktop support troubleshooting, research products and make suggestions, have made a training presentation for new hires, do the tape backups and monitor for errors, get in touch with vendors for issues, dabble on the servers. So it depends where you go. But when I think of help desk, I think of "Can you unlock my account/reset my password?"