Options

Certifications Goals for 2015

Comments

• Options
    BoneSpurBoneSpur Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just knocked out A+, now onto Network+. I want to finish N+ and S+ by May. It seems my employer will reimburse me for the exams (as long as I pass) so, that is inspiring. I have my BS in MIS, so no more school in my near future. I want to go the Cisco route, but unsure exactly where as of me typing this...

2015 is the year of change for me. Lose weight, get in shape, get out of debt and take control of my life. I will also be 40 in April, so that is nerve racking just to think about it... I feel like I am behind in my profession career, so I am trying to catch up.

I also have an inkling to create my own iPhone app. Just because I can.
    All the effort in the world won't matter if you're not inspired. - Chuck Palahniuk
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    MCSD web apps by Q1 CY15. MCSE server infras by Q2/3 CY15. MCSE SQL Q3/4 CY15.
  • Options
    I will be taking the first of 3 MCSD exams in January.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    I am studying for Security+ now, hopefully I will pass this year. [Done]

My plan for next year:

Finish my BS in IT from the Open University (June)
    ITIL Foundation
    CobIT 5 Foundation [New on the list]
    Linux+ (or) CCNA R & S [Cancel These]
    CISA by end of the year. [Booked for June Exam]

Quick update.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    philz1982 wrote: »
    I will be taking the first of 3 MCSD exams in January.

Philz while our approaches are much different I always find your read interesting.

I personally hope your certification goals don't interfere with your blogging on LinkedIn. I love your write ups on automation and security.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To adjoin and update my previous 2014 cert list, here is what I plan on working on in 2015:

Side note, I have been accepted into WGU officially so a lot of these certs are based from the BSIT: Security program.

1. A+ *Done 01/2014
    2. Network+ *Done 02/2014
    3. Security+ *In Progress, 02/2015
    4. Project+ *In Progress, 02/2015
    5. Linux+ *02 - 03/2015
    6. MTA Software Fundamentals *04/2015
    7. MTA OS Fundamentals *04/2015
    8. CIW Web Foundations Associate *05/2015
    9. CIW Web Design Associate *05/2015
    10. CIW Database Design Associate *06/2015
    11. Cisco CCENT & CCNA *06-09(end of month)/2015
    12. Cisco CCNA:Security *10/2015 - 11/2016

I am currently adjusting my work and study calendars accordingly.

Good luck to everyone out there!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Philz while our approaches are much different I always find your read interesting.

I personally hope your certification goals don't interfere with your blogging on LinkedIn. I love your write ups on automation and security.

Thanks man you and my two other readers won't be disappointed I have some cool stuff planned for 2015.

I'm doing a series on python scripting and then I will be doing a video series on NIST 800 and ISO 27000. Also looking at doing a step by step web application pen test. I am going to look at a mesh based network product and maybe walk through setting up some SEIM software...

As for the certs/school/reading, well who knows what my damn path is... i sure as hell don't. I like money and I also like IT hopefully if i keep learning enough and applying it the money will magically appear. I'm extroverted but not in the gegorious sales person kinda way. More like an extroverted analytical.

My wife keeps saying to start my own company but between the fear, self sabatoage ( you know the well what do I have to offer that these folks have been doing this for years cant do better kinda self talk) , and the break from a six figure job to step into the world of potentially no money...

So who knows, the pros and cons of adhd...

Back to the thread and off my soapbox.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Life got in the way and I couldn't get CCNA-V done in the fall, so my plan is to get that done in first part of 2015.
    Then possibly VCP5 or I'll get into CCNP R&S or Linux.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    GaberGaber Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Two certification targets for 2015:

MCSA: Windows Server 2012
    VCP5-DCV

No doubt both will be outdated by the end of 2015 with Server 2015 and vSphere 6 on the horizon, but hey, that is the name of the game in IT.

I'm looking forward to moving away from Microsoft exams - https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2014/10/27/introducing-a-new-question-type-assertion-reason-tell-us-what-you-think

Things like this blog post from Microsoft's principal psychometrician don't help. Microsoft see exams as "fun". I don't see the personal time sacrifice, cost of the exam and arranging time off work to take the exam as "fun". I don't want "fun" exams, I would like a fair exam, that tests on product knowledge - not a reading comprehension test.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think MS may keep the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification going even after the release of Windows Server 2015. On the SQL side they kept the MCSA: SQL Server 2012 going after the release of SQL Server 2014; in fact there is no MCSA: SQL Server 2014 certification and chances are there never will......
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earonw49 wrote: »
    To adjoin and update my previous 2014 cert list, here is what I plan on working on in 2015:

Side note, I have been accepted into WGU officially so a lot of these certs are based from the BSIT: Security program.

1. A+ *Done 01/2014
    2. Network+ *Done 02/2014
    3. Security+ *In Progress, 02/2015
    4. Project+ *In Progress, 02/2015
    5. Linux+ *02 - 03/2015
    6. MTA Software Fundamentals *04/2015
    7. MTA OS Fundamentals *04/2015
    8. CIW Web Foundations Associate *05/2015
    9. CIW Web Design Associate *05/2015
    10. CIW Database Design Associate *06/2015
    11. Cisco CCENT & CCNA *06-09(end of month)/2015
    12. Cisco CCNA:Security *10/2015 - 11/2016

I am currently adjusting my work and study calendars accordingly.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Awesome good luck buddy!! Your in the same degree plan as me :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Time to start the year off with a bang my fellow TE colleagues start pushing for those certs and degrees!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I might go for the OCA this year, but that would be about it. icon_profileright.gif
  • Options
    ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+, CCNA Sec, LPIC-1/Linux+, LPIC-2, MCSA 7+8, MCSA windows 2012.
    Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
    Learning: Python, C and C++
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome good luck buddy!! Your in the same degree plan as me :)

Thank you kindly!

I am beyond stoked to start this journey!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    rareairrareair Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have had almost a year off since I got my CCIE RS in February last year, but now I am studying for VMware VCIX-NV. NSX is great fun!
  • Options
    anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tall order -

jan - Security+, CCENT
    Feb - CCNA
    May - CCNP
    July - F5
    Sep - JNCIA
    December - Checkpoint

Not accounting for unforeseen circumstances, ofc :P
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • Options
    ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    Quick update.

Hey bro, are you talking about AOU university? or just the UK open university?
    If AOU, then I have some questions that I wish you have the answers for them
    Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
    Learning: Python, C and C++
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is AOU (Arab Open University), You get 3 certificates:
    1: From your local partner (Bahrain in my case).
    2: From Kuwait (The regional head office).
    3: From The Open University (UK).

Please PM me.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going for CCNA Security and CCNP this year.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Red_DragonRed_Dragon Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thinking of going back to get my MBA with concentration in IT Management.

Other than that, I want to make this cert year a "virtualization" year. VMWare, Citrix, and Hyper-V.
    BSIT: Bachelors of Science in Information Technology
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been on a Linux kick lately, so I might shoot for something there. I've studied off and on for the RHCSA, but the closest test center is pretty far away, so I'm not even sure if it's worth taking. Not much demand for Linux in Indiana.

Otherwise:

1. CCNA: Security
    2. Linux+
    3. CCNP

That should cover most of my year. I might throw CCNA: Voice in there as well depending on where my career path takes me. MSPs around here seem to be on a hiring kick lately, so I've been floating my resume around.
  • Options
    GreenHornetGreenHornet Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since I'm enrolled in WGU MSIS Security Assurance degree I'm going to get the following:

F5 ---> I actually work with it
    CEH---> I've been reading it off and on (WGU pays for it)
    CISSP---> Summer
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently just have two goals.
    Finish my masters in May, and OSCP next month.
    I have a feeling my new company will want me to go after the CISSP as well.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After getting CISSP this year, and RHCE the year before, I actually have no plans to pursue any certifications in the next few years at all but study on my own without any relation to certs.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I should have my CCNA in June. After that, I'm back to college for 2 years part-time doing a IT Systems Management course. I can use the knowledge from this to gain Linux+.

2015 is gonna be a slow one for me. Good luck everyone else :D
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone

after 2 years of very poor health I have the bit between my teeth and my plan for the next 12 months is as follows:

ITIL v3 Foundation (work requested)
    Prince2 (work requested)
    CCENT
    CCNA R+S

if there is still time I will move on to MCSA

good luck to you all with your studies this year

Carl icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Q1
    -MapR Hadoop Certified Professional Administrator
    -Puppet Professional Certification (taking the class)
    -MCSA 2012 (need to learn new OS and Active Directory)

Q2
    -VMware VCAP5-DCA (already took the class)

Q3
    -VMware VCAP5-DCD (already took the class)

Q4
    -SNIA Certified Storage Engineer (need to upgrade my storage knowledge)
    -Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Silver (need to do some ruby development)

Tried to update my original post, but it wouldn't let me edit it. I'm going to start working on OpenStack primarily with VMware a close second, so adjusting my certification goals for this year to reflect that I will be making contributions to the OpenStack open source project and going to the OpenStack summit in Vancouver in May.

Q1
    -Puppet Professional Certification (taking the class)

Q2
    -VMware VCAP5-DCA (already took the class)

Q3
    -VMware VCAP5-DCD (already took the class)

Q4
    -SNIA Certified Storage Engineer (need to upgrade my storage knowledge)
    -Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Silver (need to do some ruby development for Puppet related applications)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    My goals for 2015 are:

CompTIA Project +
    CompTIA Linux +
    CompTIA Storage +
    VCAP5-DCV
    CCENT
    CCNA:R&S

and if I have time CCNA: Security
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I am starting WGU in March BS:IT - Sec so I plan one knocking out as many certs as humanly possible! Wish me luck.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]