Options

CCNP Switch - VTP info does not cross Access switchports?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
I just wanted to share this. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Does VTP info cross over Access switchports? I just changed a port to trunk and the VTP info was shared.

Interesting!

Comments

• Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you give a port the "no switchport" command, It basically becomes a router and a separate broadcast domain.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    busines4ubusines4u Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VTP does not cross ports configured as "access" The port must be configured as a trunk for VTP information to be propagated
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm not sure what Hondabuff is getting at, but busines4u is spot on - VTP is only propagated over trunk ports.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Hondabuff is getting at, but busines4u is spot on - VTP is only propagated over trunk ports.

^^^ This!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    An access port is for users, so why would you be trying to propagate VTP information to users?
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    If you give a port the "no switchport" command, It basically becomes a router and a separate broadcast domain.

Not sure where I was going with that. It made more sense once I read his question backwards. icon_thumright.gif I should of lead off with VTP "Virtual Trunk Protocol" is the dead giveaway on where to use it.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln