Options

Allow recruiter connections on linkedin

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I applied for an opening earlier today with a large recruiting company and within an hour they were trying to connect with me on linkedin without contacting me first. Googling shows very conflicting results, some write absolutely to expand your network others write allow only after some contact.

My linkedin profile is basically the skills on my resume as a summary, education, certification and no work history (it's all irrelevant) I'm really new to the site and social networks with very few connections but I just joined the TE and WGU groups. I initially signed up to look at job listings but found nothing I didn't find on other boards. I have looked through the linkedin thread and noticed a few in the same area as me but not sure I should try connecting with them.

Should I allow the recruiter to connect?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I regularly receive job offers from recruiters that have connected with me on linkedin.
  • Options
    BeowolfjBeowolfj Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way I see it, if the recruiter is trying to contact you, then they possibly see something in that profile that looks like it may be a good fit for an opening they have. So are you activly looking for new employment, or just a network to be a member of?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i dont see a downside. And really, it only increases your network and access to potentially other jobs. Fix up your linkedin and let them add you. Like Joe, i get hit up with very solid jobs on a regular basis from linkedin. When used right it can really be your best bet to further your career.
  • Options
    I'm actively seeking an entry level position and did apply with this recruiting company for the first time earlier today. Within the past 2 weeks I've joined linkedin and facebook before that I had no social networking experience so I'm pretty naive. Can someone explain how to use linkedin effectively?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    techfiend wrote: »
    I'm actively seeking an entry level position and did apply with this recruiting company for the first time earlier today. Within the past 2 weeks I've joined linkedin and facebook before that I had no social networking experience so I'm pretty naive. Can someone explain how to use linkedin effectively?

Just keep it professional. LinkedIn != Facebook. Join groups that interest you and interact with the people there. Linking with recruiters(they are not all bad, some can get you good jobs) is great because they have a lot of connections which broadens your network and gives you exposure. This means that more people will see you and you are more likely to be offered a job. Also, connecting with locals(not only recruiters) can go a long way. You can connect with TE members as well.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Should friends/family outside of IT be disconnected?
    Should I ask to connect with recruiters that I've interviewed with?

I saw 2 locals in the linkedin thread and 1 that relocated from here. 1 local is active and has helped me out. Is it good to connect from their profile stating I'm from TE or pm them on here asking first?
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    It is OK to have people outside of IT and friends. Connecting with recruiters you know/have interacted with is a good idea. I don't think any TE member will reject your invite - just mention you are from TE and people will link with you. I think you should definitely connect with those local to you.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have one family member on my linkedin page, I try to keep it as professional as possible, I don't mind recruiters connecting with me as long as they are using me to bullhorn positions via my connections. I have worked with some great recruiters.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I invited everyone in the local area, it must be about 10% of the members in the group, quite impressive for a midsize city, and connected with the recruiter. I'm getting the hang of it, is there any advantages to connecting with people outside of the local area if I don't plan on relocating?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally only allow connections from people that I know and have worked with (coworkers, clients, professional acquaintances, etc). However, I don't use LinkedIn to job search either. I like keeping my contact list fairly small and tidy. If I was using it to job search, I'd probably accept some of those random connection requests from people half-way across the country that I have never heard of.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    I personally only allow connections from people that I know and have worked with (coworkers, clients, professional acquaintances, etc). However, I don't use LinkedIn to job search either. I like keeping my contact list fairly small and tidy. If I was using it to job search, I'd probably accept some of those random connection requests from people half-way across the country that I have never heard of.
    the way i see it, you never know when you may need to job search or utilize those connections so why not add them now?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I allow connections from recruiters as I've used a lot of them for vacancies I can't fill (via normal advertisement) and besides I never know when I will use them for myself.
  • Options
    one thing i like to do is interview recruiters while im employed. So as they add me, i try to see which ones are good, know the industry, have access to the better jobs. This way if i need to move, i know who to call. this also shows them im a very valuable asset and they continue to bring me good jobs. the recruiters who bring me positions that dont fit at all, i know not to respond to. but the good ones, they are worth the relationship!
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Beware of fake accounts on LinkedIn that are used in phishing. Some signs of an account being fake is a stock photo, very few connections, incomplete profile, etc.