Options

My Certifications

onemileprophetonemileprophet Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

This is my first post and was hoping you guys could help me figure out some possible career paths.
Come the end of the year I'll have the following certifications:
A+
Network+
Security+
Cisco CCNA
and CEH
I was considering trying to follow the Cisco path because I was told that starting off entry level you could make almost $40K/year.
Could you guys shed some light on possible career paths for me?

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Depends what you want to venture into.

Do you want to go into Networking? Security? And if you're looking for an entry level job, then help desk is where most people start off.
  • Options
    That's my issue, I'm not entirely sure. I'm 24 years old and I only know that "something with computers" is what I'd like.
    I haven't had much experience with the security side, and just your basic SOHO networking. Do you or anyone else have any insight into these fields, such as likes and dislikes or any other opinions on the fields.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you even get the CEH without any experience? Are you saying the end of this year you'll have those? If so what do you have already? And did you actually enjoy the material? If you mean next year, then how did you pick that list of certs without any direction or experience?
  • Options
    I should have all 5 come the end of 2014 maaaaybe pushing into January of next year.

So far all I have is my A+ certification. I've already taken my Network+ and Cisco ICND1&2 classes and I'm about a week away from taking my CCNA exam. My Security+ and CEH classes start on 12/1/14 and 12/15/14.
    I was able to get funding through the state to get all of the classes and exams paid for.

I suppose I enjoy the hands on configuration and troubleshooting of the cisco router and switches. I have no experience on the security side though. So I'm not really sure what to expect.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Can you even get the CEH without any experience?

You can as long as you take their training.

Without experience Sec+ and CEH are pretty ambitious. Until you've spent time labbing and seen if you enjoy doing security it's hard to recommend a path. I did find CEH helped me get past HR filters, but in interviews it helps to have a solid idea of what you want, and hard skills to back it up. I'd recommend taking advantage of the hands on aspects of the labs that are available.

Also look into setting up a virtual machine lab on your home computer. If you want to practice security monitoring you can grab Security Onion, or if you want to get a feel for hacking, grab a Kali image and some vulnerable virtual machines from Vulnhub. The key is to play around and see what you enjoy.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Now is the time to obtain that entry-level helpdesk position and figure out what IT career path you are interested in. If you want to be a network engineer, go the Cisco path. If you want to be a sysadmin or systems engineer, you can go the Microsoft path. Eventually as you gain experience and climb the career ladder, you may find yourself interested in Linux, VMware, storage, Citrix, etc.

Do you have a college degree?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I don't have a degree unfortunately. My intstructors have been talking up WGU to me lately, I'd like to get a degree sometime in the next few years.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing that I don't understand is why you are taking both Network+ and CCNA. Could you give some insight as to why you are taking both?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I took the classes and wanna take the exam because it's not coming out of my pocket, and since I took the classes I wanted to take the exam. Regardless of CCNA trumping Network+, I figured why not.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Network+ is a good foundation to have before going into CCENT/CCNA so you understand the basic networking concepts. I would suggest you find an entry level helpdesk position in your situation. It would be a good idea to pursue a bachelors in the field as well, but that's just my opinion. Goodluck with your endeavors.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2 week for each of those without actual experience is extremely fast. I'd be focusing on an entry level job right now but I don't know how they structure the training but that's a crazy fast pace to push inexperienced people towards those certs.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Only thing i will add is that i really hope you have a home lab. Because certs with no experience is going to make it tough to get anything but an entry level role. In the meantime, i would strongly suggest building a lab and gaining some hands on experience so that when you get in these interviews you can say you have utilized these skills.

Either way you should be able to get a entry level position.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses guys.
    Entry level is fine for me. It's actually what I'm looking for at the moment.