Options

Question in your practice test...

mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Mebbe i'm reading this wrong...

20. Which of the following is true concerning drive compression in Windows XP Professional?
a. You can compress files and folders only on drives formatted with NTFS.
b. Compressed files and folders cannot be shared.
c. Compressed files and folders can be encrypted.
d. Compressed files and folders cannot be encrypted.

Answers: A / D

10. You want to reduce the amount of space used on one of your FAT32 drive fast, so you decide to compress a folder named Odata with user data such as Word and Excel docs. When you want to enable compression on the folders properties sheet you notice compression is not available. How can you compress the files with the least amount of administrative effort and still be able to read the files?
a. Convert the drive to NTFS using convert.exe /fs:ntfs to enable NTFS File Compression
b. Convert the drive to NTFS using fs.exe /ntfs to enable NTFS File Compression
c. Create a new Compressed Folder and drag all the files from the Odata folder to the Compressed Folder and delete the original Odata folder
d. Use NTbackup.exe to create a file backup with maximum compression and delete the original Odata folder

Answers: C

I'm i dumb, or do i see that in the second question the drive is Fat32, and according to the first question... must be NTFS for compression? I understand moving a file to a compressed folder would allow the file to inherit the compression attributes... but wouldn't the folder need to be NTFS?

?

Writing 70-270 on Friday btw :D

Comments

• Options
    vexvex Member Posts: 113
    In question 10 you are creating a zip folder as FAT32 does not support file and folder compression.
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can see where there could be confusion here.

To start out...folders are not NTFS, the file system in which the hard drive is formatted is. You do only have the option in a file or folders properties to enable compression/encryption on an NTFS Drive.

You cannot go to the properties of a file/folder and enable compression or encryption on a drive that is formatted as FAT32. You can, however, create a Compressed Folder on a drive that is formatted with FAT32(ie.. on a drive that is formatted FAT32...go to blank space on the desktop, right click and choose New>Compressed Folder.......at that point you can place items in that compressed folder.

Does that help?
  • Options
    mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□

Does that help?

Indeed.

Thank you kindly.