Options

Passed SY0-301 today

reubs6reubs6 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed today with a 810. I reviewed my questions down to the last two minutes and I honestly was shaking in my boots because there were a couple of questions that I completely guessed on. Here is my run down:
  • Started studying with Professor Messer's videos initially for the first couple of objectives back in mid September until I stumbled upon this amazing site and saw a lot of people speaking of Darril Gibson's book, so I ended up buying the eBook and that totally took it to another level. Like others have said, the book was enjoyable to read. I finished the book early last week and have just been brushing up on weak points since then. I went back and viewed a few of Professor Messer's videos to brush up on some of them. I also purchased Gibson's app, which I used with free credit I had for Amazon. That helped as a way to allow me to study and quiz myself no matter where I was, from laying in bed to being in the bathroom lol. I also did 3 sets of recordings. First I did the 'remember me' portions of each chapter and listened to those for about a week. Then after taking the pre and post exam in the book, I removed those and just recorded the answer explanations for the questions I got wrong. I listened to those for about a week, then took the exams again and did the same with the remaining questions I was still getting wrong.
  • REMOVED CONTENT ABOUT EXAM
  • About 65% of the questions I would say I knew I got right the first time. I flagged the rest and went back and double checked them. I changed the answers on about half of them, thank goodness.
  • REMOVED CONTENT ABOUT EXAM.
  • My word of advice would be, use as much time as you need to to ensure you got everything right. There are no extra points given for completing it fast. Also, really take your time and make sure you understand the question correctly. ***CLEAN UP**** It's normal to be nervous. If you feel unprepared though, that's a different story.
What's next: I'm already in school getting my AA in Information Systems and my B.S. in Information Systems concentrating on Cybersecurity Management. I'm hoping to get an open Security Analyst position at my job by the end of the year (I'm currently on help desk, have been for a little over 2 years, with this particular company for 8 months). When I get experience under my belt I will go for CISSP. I'm not gonna bother going to SSCP or ISACA's new entry level cert, I don't see the point in having 3 entry level certifications.

Thanks to this forum, Daril Gibson and Prof. Messer for your help with this.
Plans for 2017
PMP-September

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Congrats! I'm studying for the sy0-401 right now, 3/4 done. I am going to purchase Darril Gibson's practice exam material.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Justin, Darril Gibsons app is worth it. It allows u a chance to study no matter where you are. I didn't purchase his premium content on his website, for I was able to create my own recordings and someone posted a good simulation guide on here that was perfect. He also has a youtube video explaining sims. In my opinion the only thing worth purchasing other than his book is his app.
    Plans for 2017
    PMP-September
  • Options
    psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I am planning on taking the test next week. Already have it scheduled. I've been using Darril's premium site, his 301 book and some professor Messer vids. I am glad to hear that Darril's material really seems to prepare you. Good luck on your further adventures!
  • Options
    vintendovintendo Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I also took and passed the 301 today! Studied Gibsons book and found practice exams.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Where are you getting your degree? Is it online?
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    congratulations!!!! Now go for CCNA Security..It's awesome & super interesting!!
  • Options
    vintendovintendo Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Omi, I had ICND 1 and 2 training, then we had a baby. Thats the next test on my list!
  • Options
    gbdavidx I am going to Straer University, and yes I'm doing strictly online courses.
    Plans for 2017
    PMP-September