98-361 Difficult for an MTA?

olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
From browsing the web Ive been reading that the "98-361 Software Developer Fundamentals" went from an easier intro certification to becoming very difficult.
The stuff WGU provides to pass the exam seems ok, but Ive been reading that they are no longer valid since Microsoft changed the exam so much.
Has anyone taken this on recently who can show me what they used to study?
Thanks in advance =D

EDIT
I guess I shouldve put this thread in the MS developers section...

Comments

• si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've not done this particular exam, I did the MTA Networking exam, but for what it's worth, I recommend using multiple sources to study from. Use the likes of CBT nuggets, use the official book and use the unofficial books. Speak to people who have passed and see what they did.

I can imagine a software development course would be very difficult but there's nothing more rewarding than getting your results at the test center and finding out that you've passed. Good luck!
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I've not done this particular exam, I did the MTA Networking exam, but for what it's worth, I recommend using multiple sources to study from. Use the likes of CBT nuggets, use the official book and use the unofficial books. Speak to people who have passed and see what they did.

I can imagine a software development course would be very difficult but there's nothing more rewarding than getting your results at the test center and finding out that you've passed. Good luck!
    Thanks
    I was hoping someone on here took the test for WGU and could tell me what they used.
    I will definitely use CBT Nuggets along with the provided books
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took this exam, it was not terribly difficult. The provided Wiley book was adequate for the exam. Hope this helps.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the exam last month and passed. I used the Wiley book, Certiport study guide and a document from one of the course mentors. Try asking one of the course mentors for some additional resources. I did that and it seemed to help quite a bit. It was some extra practice questions. After I did the questions I emailed my answers to the course mentor and then she gave me feedback as to why each answer was correct or incorrect. The toughest areas to me were core programming, object-oriented programming and general software development. Good luck!
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    This was the first WGU MTA exam I failed. Turns out I over studied in all the wrong areas. The majority of the questions were general questions and definitions. I failed with a 66. =/ Between having to stand around at the testing center for 2hours before I tested (Server failure) and forgetting my glasses, the test is definitely passable the first go round. I just tested on a bad day.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MagnumOpus wrote: »
    This was the first WGU MTA exam I failed. Turns out I over studied in all the wrong areas. The majority of the questions were general questions and definitions. I failed with a 66. =/ Between having to stand around at the testing center for 2hours before I tested (Server failure) and forgetting my glasses, the test is definitely passable the first go round. I just tested on a bad day.

You will get it next time!

For what it is worth, I also found this the most difficult of the 6 MTAs I took..

-scott
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    You will get it next time!

For what it is worth, I also found this the most difficult of the 6 MTAs I took..

-scott

Thanks for your words of encouragement Scott. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks for all the help everyone. After I take the exam Ill report back
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I will be taking this soon. There is a lot of good input about to proceed with preparation for this exam.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I'm taking this tomorrow at 2:00pm. Doing the online proctoring for the first time. I'll send an update with my experience when I'm finished.
    Just finished with the exam and I passed with a 72 (70 is the cutoff). I really thought I failed a I took the exam and was pretty surprised to see I passed.

There were many definitions but a lot of the exam was explaining how group of code would work and a lot of drag and drop type questions by putting segments of code in the correct order etc....

Also I really like the online proctoring. It was easy and I didn't have to get out of my PJs!
  • E_ITE_IT Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished with the exam and I passed with a 72 (70 is the cutoff). I really thought I failed a I took the exam and was pretty surprised to see I passed.

There were many definitions but a lot of the exam was explaining how group of code would work and a lot of drag and drop type questions by putting segments of code in the correct order etc....

Also I really like the online proctoring. It was easy and I didn't have to get out of my PJs!

Well done :)

I am going to take this one end of the week I believe. I have watched all the videos from MVA, CBT Nuggets, and read most of the official book and knowledge assessments. Hope that is enough.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Current Course -
    C278
    Courses Left - CJC1, IWT1, BNC1, CVV1, QZT1
    Completed Courses - ORA1, WFV1, CLC1, INC1, QBT1, DHV1, INT1, CRV1, CWV1, DIV1, CTV1, TPV1, CUV1, BOV1, MGC1, DJV1, CJV1, C220, C221, C277
    Transferred - LAE1, CPV1, AGC1, AXV1, IWC1, BVC1, BBC1, LUT1, DEV1, DFV1, EUC1, EUP1, RIT1

@E_IT

If you did all that preparation I think you will be fine. You prepared way more than I did and I passed so I'm confident you will easily pass this one.

BTW, I have to take my CIW Javascript exam this month.... was that a tough exam?
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really underestimated this exam...twice. It was those drag-n-drop code scenarios that did me in I'm sure. I talked with a course mentor about things that aren't mentioned in the book (the usage of the "yield" keyword for example), so she took the exam recently and she claims it's all good despite that the course chatter has a lot of "WTF?!" comments about the exam. I'm going to schedule it for a third time in the next week or so.

Just an FYI for those who don't know, WGU is dropping all of the MTA (and I think CIW) exams at some point. DVJ1 is getting replaced with C173 (Python) and C169 (Java) on March 1st. Talk with your mentors if it hasn't been brought up yet so you're not blindsided by it.
    @E_IT

If you did all that preparation I think you will be fine. You prepared way more than I did and I passed so I'm confident you will easily pass this one.

BTW, I have to take my CIW Javascript exam this month.... was that a tough exam?

Made an 89 on the C# class! It wasn't too bad of an exam, but was the worst layout of WGU courses so far imo.

JavaScript test wasn't that bad either. I had limited experience with it going in so that helped. Believe it or not, since you have taken the C# class... it will help... it gives a basic understanding of programming, etc..
    Current Course -
    C278
    Completed Courses - ORA1, WFV1, CLC1, INC1, QBT1, DHV1, INT1, CRV1, CWV1, DIV1, CTV1, TPV1, CUV1, BOV1, MGC1, DJV1, CJV1, C220, C221, C277
    Transferred - LAE1, CPV1, AGC1, AXV1, IWC1, BVC1, BBC1, LUT1, DEV1, DFV1, EUC1, EUP1, RIT1

@E_IT

I went through the same thing with one of the course mentors. Some of the answers in the supplied docs are wrong. Here's what I thought was funny... I was told that if I haven't failed it yet, then the supplied material was good enough.... and that if I did fail they would give me the supplemental material. wtf? really? The MVA vids are good but not in depth enough. But do watch them. Go over all of the questions in the KB and the word docs... look up what you don't know and find out why. That is what worked for me. I got NO HELP from CM... and I literally sent them screenshots straight from the book showing 2 of the answers on there sheets were wrong. I asked if someone could make sure all the answers were correct so I would be studying the right material. They said they are verified. ?? But admitted the 2 I sent in were incorrect and I was right. That class sucked for me, and I think it will be the same for someone that doesn't have quite a bit of knowledge going in.
    Current Course -
    C278

4 months later I finally got around to taking this exam. Passed with an 80 on the first attempt.
    I would say it was definitely hard for an MTA, but not that tough of an exam.
    The book was not enough to pass imo. I watched videos from Microsoft Virtual Academy about C# basics, and another series specifically about the 98-361.
    The exam also had some new stuff about Windows 8 gestures and Store features that were not in any of the latest books.
    Good luck to anyone going for this one. Know your C#, know your definitions, understand SQL, HTML/CSS/ASP.Net
  • Joedoc164Joedoc164 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just had this course added to my COS mid term and the WGU intro says that the course uses python but Microsoft is saying that the language is C#. Can someone tell me which it is?
    Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1 BVC1, CLC1, DHV1
    Completed: WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, DFV1, MGC1, CTV1, CUV1, BOV1, BNC1 RIT1, TPV1, COV1, CJV1, C169, C480, C436, C435, C697, C698 :cheers:
    To Be Completed:
    In Progress:

Joedoc164 wrote: »
    I just had this course added to my COS mid term and the WGU intro says that the course uses python but Microsoft is saying that the language is C#. Can someone tell me which it is?

I think there are 2 versions of the exam. The one youre supposed to do is the C# one for WGU.
  • cueballcueball Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my friend gave me a study guide for this exam, I was just wondering if you were able to tell me if its in the right direction of the exam
  • brianv177brianv177 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

I know old thread an all but I'm doing this exam in two months. I bought the Wiley book 98 -361. So far I've been doing the knowledge and mcq question at the end of each chapter.

Would you recommend doing any more study than that? I'm a graduate in dev.

Thanks!