Options

Some questions about the Field of IT Field Tech/Desktop Support?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you succeed in the field of IT Field Tech/ Desktop Support?
To be successful in this field what do you have to do? and what kind of knowledge do you have to have?
Also where do these guys usually max out at what salary if you have a University Degree.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on the job description/functions, depends on the area, and depends on the company. Job titles in IT mean almost nothing.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT field tech, have the knowledge of hardware and relevant software and the willingness to do it. I don't think there's much advancement doing the same type of work. I get pursued by some of these jobs and I think they are hard to fill because so few want to do it, I think the ceiling is about a living wage.

Desktop support you often need prior IT experience to land the role, it has a comfortable salary ceiling and can lead to sys admin which is a very comfortable salary ceiling, 6 digits.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For desktop support you usually have to be sharp and know technologies inside and out without looking at it. Just know if you do desktop support there are times where you will tshoot a network issue blind. There is just a lot of must know unless you have remote access.
  • Options
    jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was desktop support (I was recently promoted to junior network administrator) I felt the most important thing was my attitude and people skills. You'll have those people who are just a pain in the neck. You gotta remain cool, calm and collected. Also, use your google-fu! I was making $26000 annually when I was doing desktop support, but wages are low in my area
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jabokim wrote: »
    When I was desktop support (I was recently promoted to junior network administrator) I felt the most important thing was my attitude and people skills. You'll have those people who are just a pain in the neck. You gotta remain cool, calm and collected. Also, use your google-fu! I was making $26000 annually when I was doing desktop support, but wages are low in my area

I agree! People skills are MAJOR as a deskside support rep. If you can forge and maintain relationships, then you'll have a MUCH easier time deciding where you want to go or what you want to do.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I use to do field work and work with field techs daily. It's good to make sure you understand exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it. Don't be the guy that just pulls the levers and pushes the buttons because somebody tells you to. Know why you're doing it. Having a good understanding of what you're doing will help you come up with solutions when faced with challenges.