Options

A Computer Science Degree VS a Computer Technology Degree?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
So theres this degree name a Bachelors of Arts in Computer Technology from Cal State Dominguez Hills and A bachelors of science in Computer Science.
What would be the difference with both degrees in terms of job prospects/opportunities, salaries, competition? And are you still able to get jobs in the IT Field. I don't have the intention of being an Engineer or Software Developer. Maybe a Web Developer or Desktop Support Manager one day. and also I hate very advance math like Calculus and Discrete math

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Computer Science degrees seem to be the most sought after in terms of prestige. Most job listings that require a bachelor degree list something to the effect of "Requires a 4-year degree in Computer Science or related field." If you have the option, the CS degree would probably be the best bet.

However, I would imagine the CS degree to be more rigorous in terms of mathematics, and possibly science and programming languages as well. You should definitely compare the curriculum between the two degrees and choose the one that interests you the most. If math isn't your strong suit, for example, calculus may be a huge road block for you. I would have hated going the CS degree route, and may even have quit.

On the positive side, you can be successful with any IT-related bachelors degree as long as it's from a regionally-accredited university. Once you get your foot in the door, it becomes all about experience (and certs as well, depending on your career path).

The most important thing is obtaining the degree in the first place.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with srabiee, or you can try to split your degree into concentrations. You can go to a community college and get your associates in Computer Science ..you will most likely take some calculus but you wont go too deep into it. Then finish off with a bachelor's in IT management. Those community colleges are good because you are taking the first 2 years of most degrees there.

But after looking at the courses offer in Computer Technology, it seem strong. Its your typical Information Technology degree. If you like it then do it. Just ask anyone you know who has been in the program is it of quality.

Your job outlooks varies by location and market. If you want the best means into IT with good pay do computer science. If your okay with desktop support which pays pretty good depending on the level of your support then any computer degree should fit.
  • Options
    dmcnaughtondmcnaughton Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest the IT degree. Since you hate advanced math and do not want to get into development, IT is the obvious choice. A lot of people enroll into CS programs wanting/thinking it would be like IT, take a few OOP classes, a linear algebra class and end up switching out. The downside is you may have to start lower on the totem pole. But not by much.
  • Options
    BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest the IT degree. Since you hate advanced math and do not want to get into development, IT is the obvious choice. A lot of people enroll into CS programs wanting/thinking it would be like IT, take a few OOP classes, a linear algebra class and end up switching out. The downside is you may have to start lower on the totem pole. But not by much.

Great input and advice. I'm currently in the same predicament as you are Bchen22, however I had already come to the conclusion that Computer Science was going to be math heavy and that I wanted to go the IT route. I start in the spring of 2015, and will simultaneously work to get my certs while attending school (and doing all of this while having 2 kids at home). #GoodTimes
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah if you are thinking web development or Support Manager I would avoid Computer Science.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This was a tough decision, I love computers and networks, I considered CS its pretty much guaranteed a job at 70k a year I just don't have the math skills, I'm sure I could handle calculus and physics if I really focus in on it, but after that I feel like I would be setting myself up for disaster, but some people love math and if you like it or are good at it definitely go the CS route instead
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could the same be said about a BS in Information Systems Vs a BS in Information Technology? (probably a stupid Question) I just would like a second opinion. The link to the brochure is http://www.strayer.edu/sites/default/files/master_catalog_10-17-14.pdf looking at pages 83 and 87
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the CS degree is the one people ask for whether your doing IT or programming. If your going to put in the time, might as well get the one thats more highly sought after.

And the math isnt really that bad. if you can handle calc, then your good.