Options

Scheduled the VCP-DCV 5.1 exam for December 17th

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    any last minute advice?

Just remember, be yourself... oh for the VCP, yes definitely watch your time limit! One area that got me that I did not think to study was permissions.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    permission are relatively good for me, they behave like GPO's with propagation, cloning permission though that is new.... hopefully I get the permission ones right..

Yes time does seem like an enemy, however these practice exams I'm taking are 100 questions and it takes me 1 hour to do them.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck on your exam Deathmage!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Good luck Deathmage !! I'm sure you'll breeze right through the exam!
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    Tonight I'm just going to hash out storage and DRS. And then just do flash cards but more importantly I'm off to bed at 9pm. I've found 8+ hours before an exam plus a good breakfast is essential plus a vitamin water with potassium, sodium, the B ' s and folic acid with BCAA'S I find help me focus...dunno know why...

Must be from the high blood pressure once the exam starts...lol
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got this bro!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm going after my VCP-Cloud certification this weekend!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Exam at 12:45...

This is it...

icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Good luck DeathImage! Let us know how the exam went and what you think were the tools that proved to be most useful (aside from the Scott Lowe book) and the ones that weren't. I plan on taking the exam early next month.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Best of luck man, I hope you do well!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Exam at 12:45...

This is it...

icon_redface.gif

Good luck man. You got this.

I took my Cisco ICND2 yesterday and did studying sessions like you described and I passed with no problem. I am starting VCP-DCV next month at Stanly and will be doing the same.
  • Options
    Erg, I failed by 5 points....so pissed now...

Just going to keep doing practice exams and study more.

When I get home I'll just reschedule it for 7 days from now...

I'm so close..
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aww man that sucks big time. Do they tell you how you scored in each area? I know you'll get it next time though.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that bud. My test is tomorrow at 9:00 am. I found a few more links to look at :

Do I Know This Already? VMware VCP5 - Datacenter Virtualization Exam | Pearson IT Certification

And you should still have another 70% of voucher that you can use from the Stanly course, so that should take out the sting.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow that sucks it's only like a question or two that you got wrong. Good luck on the exam next week!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear, I know the pain though (hit the CEH on try #3). You'll get it the next time! Do they give you a printout on what your weak areas were?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Sure did. I'm just going to use the MeasureUP tests (found those very helpful, thx mystery man!)

I really had no idea going into it how the exam was going to be structured so I kind of knew it was a dry run. I know and felt I got a good chunk of them right but a few things like powercli I did next to nothing with or DRS so I'm going to see about powercli (if anyone knows how I do those that would be easier or else I'll go through Scott book and find it) but DRS seems a little more tricky..

I'm really not upset upset I was prepared to fail. I just wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be..

It's all good my 1st A+ I failed by 15 points and then I retool it and got a near perfect score.

What this just proves to me is I know the content just need to refine it for case scenario's...and ironically I think practise tests are the only realistic way...
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed the first time too. I was also able to use the same stanly voucher booking the second time, just fyi. Good luck on the retake, you got this.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you pass on the next try. Is it safe to say that the Stanly course and reading the Scott Lowe book front to back are not enough to prepare for the test?
  • Options
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you pass on the next try. Is it safe to say that the Stanly course and reading the Scott Lowe book front to back is not enough to prepare for the test?

I'd like to get thoughts on this too.
  • Options
    I'll get it next time. I'm not really fratting about it. I've done enough of these exams that you don't always pass them, you just retake them and move on. See it's nice to have the certifications, but sometimes getting a certification the 1st time doesn't always validate the skills, so it's just means you really need to understand **** really well. They say for the VCP you need 6 months of hands-on experience, I have 4 months of book learning and honestly 2 months of live-deployment knowledge.

As for the ICM question, yes that's a fair assessment it's not enough. The class gets you enough to get the cluster installed, up and running, tied into vcenter and connected with storage, vSS networking, basic permissions and basic alarms. - it doesn't however cover into the depth you need for the exam on vDS, DRS, HA, FT, vApp's, Resource Pools, VSA, VUM and in-depth permissions/alarms or PowerCLI. (i didn't even study PowerCLI and it really showed today)

I know what questions I got wrong, most of them probably 60 of them I knew the answer in less than 15 seconds, the rest I had to flag and come back to and some of them I guessed and that were I got screwed....

I've already been taking it to a new extreme, just completely blew away the lab and re-doing it from scratch now minus the ISO datastore and the 2008 R2 Template with all 330 windows updates ;) - plus this time around making a dedicated Windows 2008 R2 server on a desktop outside of the cluster instead of the iffy Banana Pi with the Samra DC so I can perfect windows authentication for vCenter.

Does anyone know a good tool I can use on a Netflow VM, I was thinking wireshark but I figured I'd ask, maybe someone has a better option.

Lastly does anyone know a tool I can install on a VM that can intentionally tax the CPU and/or memory? - I want to see if I can make a DRS cluster but the only way I can truly test it out in the lab is if I can put load on the VM's so I can see the automation happening.
  • Options
    Itrimble wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that bud. My test is tomorrow at 9:00 am. I found a few more links to look at :

Do I Know This Already? VMware VCP5 - Datacenter Virtualization Exam | Pearson IT Certification

And you should still have another 70% of voucher that you can use from the Stanly course, so that should take out the sting.

I just got a 83% on the assessment quiz, I'm serious i was one measly question on that exam, so pissed!
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you pass on the next try. Is it safe to say that the Stanly course and reading the Scott Lowe book front to back is not enough to prepare for the test?

I thought reading Lowe's book was enough to pass.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    dave330i wrote: »
    I thought reading Lowe's book was enough to pass.

I disagree. I read the book and have ~3 years experience with vSphere suite at the enterprise level on a daily basis and still had a difficult time on the test. However, I used the process of elimination when it came to the solutions for the questions as I've seen maybe 1-2 actual issues from the test in a production environment. My thought is that most of the questions come from their call center, which means you need to be able to use the process of elimination and have hands on experience with the product.
  • Options
    Well, I just took the test...... didn't pass icon_sad.gif . I actually thought I did great on the test while I was taking it. I will take it again in January or February with a new study plan.
  • Options
    Well, I just took the test...... didn't pass icon_sad.gif . I actually thought I did great on the test while I was taking it. I will take it again in January or February with a new study plan.

awww that blows. Well I know how you feel but like we both know you can't always pass them you just gotta keep chugging along, pick yourself back up and go at it again...
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    you need to be able to use the process of elimination and have hands on experience with the product.

This is the reason in a nutshell...
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Dang, fellas, now you've got me scared haha. I haven't started studying for the VCP yet but I just started getting more exposure to vmware at work. It's been interesting to say the least!

Anyways, keep at it guys, you can do it!!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    Dang, fellas, now you've got me scared haha. I haven't started studying for the VCP yet but I just started getting more exposure to vmware at work. It's been interesting to say the least!

Anyways, keep at it guys, you can do it!!

I'm persistent and never a quitter so I'll nab it one way or another...
  • Options

I'm trying something different this time around, each question in the practice exams I'm 'working' them into the lab and seeing which one is the best answer, it seems to be helping me so that I have a mental imprint of the answer from working to resolve the same results in a working cluster...

@itrimble - found this helpful.... just made a VM of this...

Deploying VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) (Linux) - vmwiki

• Options
    I will definitely look into this. Great find.