Options

motivation group for folks studying and taking the LX0-101 and 102 in 3 to 4 months.

Comments

• Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, and post results!
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kick butt!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    LinuxAcademy videos are done as of yesterday! (Got hit with a cold, so took a little longer)

Moving on to the Sybex book to review some things, but overall I feel that this has gone a lot more smoothly than 101. I'll be getting the test prep software from SelfTestSoftware this evening, and I should be ready to sit for the exam next week.

I think a key differentiation between 101 and 102 is that 102 has less variation between command line options and configurations than 101, so it's a lot more straightforward. While the programs, config files, etc. referenced in 102 might not always be used, it seems that their usage is standard across distributions (or at least a lot more than programs / config files in 101). Ex. in 101, you had to know the difference between YUM, APT-GET, RPM, DPKG and all the options. In 102, there is primarily one way to write SQL statements - one way to configure SSH agents, etc.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally found the 102 easier due to what 5ekurity has mentioned. Scope of 101 is wide whereas 102 goes deep.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    jaymojaymo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Been wanting to get into linux for quite sometime now . I think this will be the best place for me to start my journey and remain motivated. (I hope its not too late to join in :))Am completely new to linux and will be starting from scratch.

From what I gather from the thread so far, cbt nuggets , Sybex study guide and linux academy are the best materials for study. Will get them soon and get right down to business. I hope to posts daily so i keep up the pace. Hopefully in 3 to 4 months , I should be linux certified.
  • Options
    Free Udemy Linux-themed courses: https://www.udemy.com/topic/linux-video-tutorials/?price=price-free&view=list

Also, LOTS of top courses - including Linux Academy/Infinite Skills - for $10 bucks right now.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed LX0-101 today! Score of 580. Not the best, but to go from no knowledge to a pass in 30 days felt pretty good :). I'll probably be taking a day off and then on Monday start up again for LX0-102.

To anyone studying for LX0-101, use flashcards. I used all the commands on my test system, but there's just so many options that it's hard to memorize them all without flash carding. Other than that, it's not an incredibly hard test, just put the work in and show up and you should be fine.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    I passed LX0-101 today! Score of 580. Not the best, but to go from no knowledge to a pass in 30 days felt pretty good :). I'll probably be taking a day off and then on Monday start up again for LX0-102.

Congrats! A pass is a pass!
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck to all of you! This website is very helpful for motivation and information.
  • Options
    daviddws wrote: »
    Good luck to all of you! This website is very helpful for motivation and information.

Mos def...I probably lurked mooching on the free/discounted exams section - off and on - for a couple years before joining.

The motivation part is really a critical factor for many IT professionals - I, myself, am sort of an introvert icon_lol.gif so this site has helped me immensely.
  • Options
    linuxarcolinuxarco Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    question, for those who have been doing command line linux/unix for many years, when you first started out did you type out all the short syntax then tab (auto-complete) the long syntax then start tabbing just about everything you can tab. whats your choice for editing vi, vim, nano etc?
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I use vi as an editor. I worked with one guy who would not do a think on a system unless it had Emacs. vi is always there in case you boot to a system and have to rescue it. I started out using csh and in those days we didn't have auto completion. My biggest change was going from a VAX/VMS system where 'dir' was similar to what I'd seen in windows, to 'ls' which meant nothing to me.
  • Options
    aderon, congrats on the pass! One more to go now!

I'll likely be sitting for 102 this Friday - been working on practice exams and polishing up a few things with my notes and some of the areas that were only lightly touched in the Sybex or Linux Academy material. Should have some good news by the end of the week!
  • Options
    So I've finished studying for 1 of the 6 domains for LX0-102 and stated on the second domain. The plan is to get the second domain done by tomorrow and then start on the third domain on Saturday.

I haven't really given myself a definitive overall time frame, but I'm hoping that I'll be ready in another 1.5-2 weeks.

And good luck tomorrow 5ecurity! Make sure you come back tomorrow and tell us all about it!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aderon wrote: »
    To anyone studying for LX0-101, use flashcards. I used all the commands on my test system, but there's just so many options that it's hard to memorize them all without flash carding. Other than that, it's not an incredibly hard test, just put the work in and show up and you should be fine.

Did you find flashcards available for purchase or just make your own? Right now I'm starting out by handwriting the notes in the Linux+ notes section on here. I tend to get an ah-ha moment when I do that then read a book that references the same information. I'm just developing strategy for the exams as I go along, but knowing the expiration date is looming should keep me from procrastinating so much while studying. I already tried to talk myself into putting the exam off and taking the Network+ So I want to say thank you for helping regain focus.icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Options
    I sit for LX-102 this afternoon - feeling pretty good, so we'll see what happens!
  • Options
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    Did you find flashcards available for purchase or just make your own? Right now I'm starting out by handwriting the notes in the Linux+ notes section on here. I tend to get an ah-ha moment when I do that then read a book that references the same information. I'm just developing strategy for the exams as I go along, but knowing the expiration date is looming should keep me from procrastinating so much while studying. I already tried to talk myself into putting the exam off and taking the Network+ So I want to say thank you for helping regain focus.icon_thumright.gif

The flashcards I made on my own based on notes I'd taken while reading through the book. Also, taking pretests early on (even before reading) is really helpful in understanding what you're going to be tested on and what kind of questions you'll get. To me it was more meaningful than just reading through the objectives (Although I would suggest that too).

I still have the flash cards saved on quizlet.com if you'd like them, but as you said you'll probably get more out of it if you create and write them down on your own.

Just maintain focus and remember what made you decide to start on the certification in the first place. And good luck! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    So far, three domains down, three to go. The goal is to finish everything up this week and through the weekend. Then on Monday, January 24th I'm going in to test for LX0-102.

Domains Completed
    Shells, Scripting, and Data Management
    User Interfaces and Desktops
    Networking Fundamentals

Domains Still Need to Review
    Security
    Administrative Tasks
    Essential System Services
  • Options
    have not heard from 5ekurity probably passed and celebrating
  • Options
    linuxarco wrote: »
    have not heard from 5ekurity probably passed and celebrating

Haha I was actually thinking about that earlier today
  • Options
    lol...back in the office today and had a busy weekend with family.

That being said, I actually did not pass on Friday - I was really surprised with how they worded some of the questions and some things were not even talked about in LinuxAcademy training. Some of the things that I thought would be more focused on, specifically some of the security topics, were not mentioned at all. I felt there was a lot about localization and time zones, which again of all things I could see a few questions but felt there was just a bunch of them. They would also have some questions asking for specific commands that perform some configuration, of which I'd think to just edit the config file with vi / nano - but I didn't really know how to answer the question (i.e. I couldn't think of any other command to set or edit the config file).

So, while I was disappointed, I came across this quote shortly after the test - "More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them" - so now it's time to polish up some of the rough edges and re-attempt soon.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To edit config files, I would have to agree with you. I would open the file in VIM and do my edits there.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    ...I actually did not pass on Friday...

Sorry to hear/read! I've heard it's tough!
  • Options
    It was just...different than what I had expected. I know what I gotta do to fix up some areas, so there's no looking back and just moving forward.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    lol...back in the office today and had a busy weekend with family.

That being said, I actually did not pass on Friday - I was really surprised with how they worded some of the questions and some things were not even talked about in LinuxAcademy training. Some of the things that I thought would be more focused on, specifically some of the security topics, were not mentioned at all. I felt there was a lot about localization and time zones, which again of all things I could see a few questions but felt there was just a bunch of them. They would also have some questions asking for specific commands that perform some configuration, of which I'd think to just edit the config file with vi / nano - but I didn't really know how to answer the question (i.e. I couldn't think of any other command to set or edit the config file).

So, while I was disappointed, I came across this quote shortly after the test - "More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them" - so now it's time to polish up some of the rough edges and re-attempt soon.

Sorry to hear that man! Thanks for the feedback though. That does seem pretty odd that you would get so many questions on setting date/time.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    From what little bit I know about ComTIA tests, I believe they are adaptive. If you miss a question in a certain area, it starts to drill you on it. I know a guy who only studied practice test. Too lazy to do anything else. He took Sec+ the first time, and failed it. Still wouldn't read the books I offered him, but he passed it the 2nd time. Then he had to take Solaris. Did the same thing, barely failed it. Didn't crack a book, failed it worse the 2nd time. They finally let him go. I suspect they hit an area he got something wrong on, and then started drilling him on it.

I am not suggesting that you studied that way, all I a saying is maybe that is why you received so many questions in a particular area.
  • Options
    sorry to hear you did not pass, you will get it next time around and crush it. If its adaptive that bites, I've taken a few of those before, the only cool thing about them is when you are getting them right then it kicks you out early with a pass. I mentioned this before and its like bronwrap is saying. certs, degrees, diplomas etc are bench marks, door openers, a peace of paper in some h/r department that says you met a requirement etc. its saying you took time to learn your craft. But I've seen many of post saying stuff on the test not even used in production, or that was used 4 years ago etc. I'm studying to learn Linux and to pass a test, 400.00 bucks is serous funds for me. I do feel like I am learning, I am able to follow along with L/A and understand what is going on, I notice more and more things are open source then someone puts a gui on it and makes a ton of money, I setup nagios xi vm, command line setup then web gui. I use to struggle with who the heck is grep and why does he have a pipe!? now things are making sense well sort of icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    As far as I know, Linux+ isn't adaptive. Each of the domains has a % assigned to it representative of how often those kind of questions are asked. Breakdown for LX0-102 is as follows:

105 Shells, Scripting and Data Management: 17%
    106 User Interfaces and Desktops 8%
    107 Administrative Tasks 20%
    108 Essential System Services 17%
    109 Networking Fundamentals 23%
    110 Security 15%

Now as to whether they're adaptive within their own domain? I haven't got a clue. So, say you missed a question about date/time in the administrative tasks domain, would all of the questions from that domain start asking you about date/time? Possibly.
  • Options
    Just finished studying the fourth of the six domains. Two more to go now and then as long as my voucher comes in before this weekend I'll be testing on Monday.

Domains Completed
    Shells, Scripting, and Data Management
    User Interfaces and Desktop
    Networking Fundamentals
    Administrative Tasks

Domains Still Need To Review
    Security
    Essential System Services
  • Options
    Thanks for the support, I appreciate it! As far as resources used, it was the Sybex Linux+ book, LinuxAcademy and the SelfTestSoftware practice tests. I primarily went through L-Academy, and supplemented with the Sybex book and drilled with the practice exams. I'm using the TestOut modules now (WGU); having taken the test once already, I can say that TestOut is covering things I saw on the exam that I felt less familiar with. Also, if you are a WGU student, contact the course mentors as they have some additional study material that may be of help to you.