Options

motivation group for folks studying and taking the LX0-101 and 102 in 3 to 4 months.

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found the MeasureUp practice exams good, very close to what's in the exam. Just pick up 30 days access, if you search you should find a code for discount too.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I decided to change plans a bit and instead of testing on Monday, I'm going to go for it on Saturday morning. I've still got one last domain to study for (Security). I'll let you know how it all goes!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, post results and thoughts when complete! I'm looking to re-test in the next week or so; the TestOut has really helped tie things together despite the videos being somewhat mind-numbing.
  • Options
    Got a 550. Passed! I'm going to admit that the test was actually pretty hard. I wouldn't say I was stressed out, but I definitely felt more pressure while taking the test.

As far as what was on it goes... the TestOut practice exams from WGU will have you believe that every other question is going to ask you a file location. This wasn't my experience. There was only a few questions asking about file location and then maybe 4-5 about "which directory would you go to do this or that"

There's a lot of "type the command that does this (Just the command, no options)" type of questions.

The networking and security questions were fairly basic although I did get a subnetting question which I thought was strange (I'm assuming it was a beta question). Also I was asked a pretty complex ifconfig question which I felt was a bit out of scope.

I had maybe 3 questions on locale/date/time stuff and I'm positive I got them all right (Maybe it is adaptive?).

You MUST know how to read script files. Knowing the clauses and what they do isn't enough. You need to be able to read a script from beginning to end, know whether the syntax is right, and what the output of the script will be. I had tons of questions like this.

Also, I had a ton of questions about editing configuration files and how you would edit them to have certain desired effects.

And with that done... Time for the CCENT! Good luck to anyone else attempting the Linux+ exam!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Congrats. Did you get a printout of your score? How long does it take for the score to show up on PearsonVue and Comptia?
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you get a printout of your score? How long does it take for the score to show up on PearsonVue and Comptia?

Yep, you get it right after testing. Once you test, it's up to the speed of the testing center to submit your scores to CompTIA I believe. CompTIA suggests waiting at least 5 days before you apply for the certification, but I've found that it only takes 1-2 business days.
  • Options
    Thank you and congrats again.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks and congrats on the pass! Hoping to join the club very soon!
  • Options
    I have kept quiet about my testing dates, but took the 2nd one over the weekend. I took LX0-101 on January 3rd, and did receive my score, then took LX0-102 this past Saturday, but did not receive a score. Took it at the same test center both times, had to drive a ways to get a Saturday appointment. The first time, the guy running the test center handed me a printout. The 2nd time he said Pearson took away his printer, but congratulated me on the pass. I was puzzled about that, that is why I asked should you get your score. The score showed up after I completed the mandatory questionnaire, but I won't feel satisfied until I get that piece of paper. They have made such a big deal about this at work, I didn't tell a soul I was taking the test.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congrats on the pass!
    Isn't there an online profile for each candidate so your results are posted online on your profile in addition to the paper printout? I know LPI has that.
    Pearson... took away his printer?! Puzzling...
  • Options
    Thank you, one less thing to stress over. My cert has shown up on CompTIA. I guess it will take a while to show up on LPI, but that isn't recognized here anyway. They insisted on the Linux+. I am going to a conference next month that typically offer the LPI test.
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Thank you, one less thing to stress over. My cert has shown up on CompTIA. I guess it will take a while to show up on LPI, but that isn't recognized here anyway. They insisted on the Linux+. I am going to a conference next month that typically offer the LPI test.

Copied from another thread:

1. Register at LPI. Get a LPI number.
    2. Take the CompTIA Linux+ exams. At the beginning of each test, the test engine will ask if you want your scores forwarded to LPI. Say yes.
    3. Wait a few days for the scores to hit CompTIA. You’ll get a certificate in email.
    4. Wait a few days for the scores to hit LPI. You get a certificate in email.
    5. Once you are LPIC-1, forward the scores to Novell. Wait a few days. You’ll get Novell CLA.
  • Options
    I guess it would be nice to have these certs, but I don't feel like I earned them. I have always wanted the Linux+, just to see what it was all about, but if they had not put so much pressure here at work to get it, I probably would have spent my time studying things I need to know to do my job, like VMware, Netapps, and EMC. Those are topics I actually don't know much about and need to get up to speed on.

Thanks for the time you spent putting the post together, but I would never consider myself Novell or LPI unless I took their tests. I feel like I did when I took Sec+, all of the questions concerning logs etc. were based on Windows, I don't support Windows at all, I am a Windows user, but don't know anything about Windows administration, but that seemed to be the bulk of the test. I don't think I ever used anything I learned from the Sec+ test.

There is a number of things I studied for Linux+ that I will never use as well, like 'sec', never heard of it and I can't think of any practical use for it.
  • Options
    I can definitely relate to that feeling. Out of the CLA, Linux+, and LPIC-1, I'm going to apply for all of them, but I most likely will only list the Linux+ and LPIC-1 on my resume. My reasoning is that if an HR person is looking for a specific one (because they don't know that they're both essentially the same), then I wouldn't miss out on an opportunity that I could have otherwise gotten had I listed it.

O and as far as NetApp is concerned. learningcenter.netapp.com is your friend. Your employer should have a login. There's a learning module called Fast Path OnBoarding which is actually very good at getting you comfortable with NetApp technologies.
  • Options
    Thank you for the Netapp link. It wants a business email, so I will have to wait until tomorrow.
  • Options
    Actually, I just realized you probably won't be able to see the Fast Path OnBoarding. This is fairly similar and it will allow you to pick a learning path to go down that leads towards certification in most cases.

https://learningcenter.netapp.com/content/public/production/learning_maps/customer/lm_customer_t1.html
  • Options
    linuxarcolinuxarco Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats! I didnt get the group post email might be hitting my spam.
    I just did the LAMP stack "live lab" in linuxacademy good stuff.
  • Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since the Linux cert is based obtained by taking 2 exams - does anyone know what happens if you take the current 101 exam and do not sit for the 102 before it expires? At that point will you be able to take only the 2015 102 exam or will you have to take both of the 2015 exams?
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats to everyone that passed! I passed 101 on Tuesday and take 102 on Sunday so I hope to join you guys soon!

@Dnt I assume you'd have to take the 2015 version of 102?
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    congrats!
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone that passed! I passed 101 on Tuesday and take 102 on Sunday so I hope to join you guys soon!

@Dnt I assume you'd have to take the 2015 version of 102?
  • Options
    linuxarco wrote: »
    congrats!

Thanks! I really appreciate it! 102 tomorrow! icon_cool.gif

Btw, I use Rufus for creating bootable usb - https://rufus.akeo.ie/

It's faster than Unetbootin and dls distros in the app.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    mabvutomabvuto Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    passed my LPI 117-102 on 12/02/2015, some of the guides from this forum helped much in my preparation. Thank you guys
  • Options
    mabvuto wrote: »
    passed my LPI 117-102 on 12/02/2015, some of the guides from this forum helped much in my preparation. Thank you guys

Congrats!
  • Options
    I failed LX0-102 by a few points! icon_twisted.gif

It's pretty challenging (like 100x harder than 101) and there are A LOT of fill-in-the-blanks (many really ambiguous questions). I know it was just ONE lil syntax error that doomed me. I'm going to retake it ASAP! If I could schedule it for later today, I know I'd pass - no problem.

Also, I don't know if it was the luck of the draw but I got practically no questions about Samba which I pretty much went over with a fine-tooth comb.
  • Options
    sorry to hear that. Fill in the blanks you say, yup 1 comma and it should be a period or semicolon command wont work. You will get it. As you say you did not miss it by much. how much did it cost? I think its ok for you to say how many questions were on the test and was it adaptive?

It's pretty challenging (like 100x harder than 101) and there are A LOT of fill-in-the-blanks (many really ambiguous questions). I know it was just ONE lil syntax error that doomed me. I'm going to retake it ASAP! If I could schedule it for later today, I know I'd pass - no problem.

Also, I don't know if it was the luck of the draw but I got practically no questions about Samba which I pretty much went over with a fine-tooth comb.
  • Options
    sorry to hear that. Fill in the blanks you say, yup 1 comma and it should be a period or semicolon command wont work. You will get it. As you say you did not miss it by much. how much did it cost? I think its ok for you to say how many questions were on the test and was it adaptive?

I had 60 questions (probably 25-30% fill-in-the-blanks) and I believe it was adaptive.

Looking back at my notes now, I had a few stupid errors on the multiple-choice section that probably really contributed to my fail. I rescheduled for Tuesday but I wish I could retake it sooner! I'm pretty disappointed and pissed - honestly. I'm already studying again...
  • Options
    dont beat yourself up to much about it, keep your focus, you will get it.
    I had 60 questions (probably 25-30% fill-in-the-blanks) and I believe it was adaptive.

Looking back at my notes now, I had a few stupid errors on the multiple-choice section that probably really contributed to my fail. I rescheduled for Tuesday but I wish I could retake it sooner! I'm pretty disappointed and pissed - honestly. I'm already studying again...
  • Options
    dont beat yourself up to much about it, keep your focus, you will get it.

Haha yea...thanks!
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□

fuz1on, sorry to hear that you failed to pass this time, best of luck on the next attempt :D Yeah the fill in the blanks caught me off guard too, luckily my experience with linux IRL as a daily OS really helped me
  • Options
    It really irritates me when I hear people say, "It couldn't be that hard, its a CompTIA test. Especially when they haven't taken it. Another old thread listed the hardest CompTIA test and Linux+ wasn't even listed. I took booth and passed, but I use it daily. Still, there are so many obscure questions that you don't need to know to support Linux. Plus you are never working in a vacuum like you do when you take the test. The whole things bothers me, but it was a job requirement.