Options

Which certification is the way to start

VillainVillain Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 21 years old, i build computers for family and friends. I think i know the basics so maybe i can skip the comptia a+? i don't have no certifications and only job experiences i have is retail, which i doubt could help. What i'm looking for is a certification that can help me get hired, i'ts a decent pay wage and there's demand for it. I love computers and technology so i definitely want to get started to a career path of IT. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I'm not sure why you would want to skip A+, sounds like your experience would help you with it. In my experience it's a good cert to help you get your foot in the door. MCSA Windows 7 might also be one that your experience could help you with. You have to start somewhere...
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree. Even if you want to get started with Networking, you could start off with Network+ then CCENT. Just my $0.02.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look at the MTA certs. They are cheap, by Microsoft, and would be good for a help desk position. If money doesn't matter then grab Net+ also.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you would want to skip A+, sounds like your experience would help you with it. In my experience it's a good cert to help you get your foot in the door. MCSA Windows 7 might also be one that your experience could help you with. You have to start somewhere...

I'm glad you said something about the A+, the reason i said that was because I read is a waste of time and money if you already got the knowledge and it rarely gets you jobs. I read it in this forum too. So in my logic (that may be wrong) maybe i can get a better cert that would make me stand out more than if i had the A+ and save money. Correct me if im wrong somewhere. Could i straight up take a Network+ or Server+ exam or do i have to have A+ cert in order to take those exams?
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Look at the MTA certs. They are cheap, by Microsoft, and would be good for a help desk position. If money doesn't matter then grab Net+ also.

Was the MTA certs for you an entering to IT? how much would you say the average hour wage is for someone with MTA certs on a help desk job?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly network + for me was the most informative out of the CompTIA's. I was having to work a NOC shift from time to time and when I finished going through Mike Meyers network plus book working with the routers and switches was a lot easier. It's not going to make you a professional but as a first line NOC tech it was exactly what I needed. With that said if you want to continue to deep dive into client operating systems then Windows 8 or maybe A+. Heck if you are a real geek you can skip straight to Linux +. Quite a few people on here went that route in the past and they seemed to really enjoy the material and learned a lot.

Since you asked one certification to help you get hired on I would still say A+ is the way to go. With your current skills it would be easy to obtain and get you into a role that you would probably feel comfortable doing.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Honestly network + for me was the most informative out of the CompTIA's. I was having to work a NOC shift from time to time and when I finished going through Mike Meyers network plus book working with the routers and switches was a lot easier. It's not going to make you a professional but as a first line NOC tech it was exactly what I needed. With that said if you want to continue to deep dive into client operating systems then Windows 8 or maybe A+. Heck if you are a real geek you can skip straight to Linux +. Quite a few people on here went that route in the past and they seemed to really enjoy the material and learned a lot.

Since you asked one certification to help you get hired on I would still say A+ is the way to go. With your current skills it would be easy to obtain and get you into a role that you would probably feel comfortable doing.

So lets say i take the A+ and pass it. What kind of jobs can i get? and with the A+ cert is there a lot of job opportunities for it ?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Villain wrote: »
    Was the MTA certs for you an entering to IT? how much would you say the average hour wage is for someone with MTA certs on a help desk job?

My first real IT job, I actually didn't have any certs but I was about a month away from my Associate's in IT. Looking at the average wage of someone with a MTA cert isn't really a feasible question. The wage for entry-level is going to depend more on your duties and the area you live in rather than which cert you have. However, the MTA was my first cert and in a Microsoft help-desk environment, it was looked upon as a solid entry certification.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of hiring managers want, as a minimum, an A+. So, it will depend on the company, the job, and the location. For instance, here in Denver, one of the largest data centers likes to start people off in their NOC. All they require is an A+.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just get the A+. You can always build from there.
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »

This ^^ Im doing the networking and Sec. MTA Certs, then N+ then well.... depends where im at lol
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Villain. Field tech or desktop support.
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    About once a week this topic comes up, and I'm detecting something of a pattern with them. By them, I mean threads and not the beautiful snowflakes simply seeking knowledge on their path to enlightenment.

1. Interested in "computers" [insert supporting information here]
    2. Wants to (a) get job working with "computers" or (b) wants to get certified in order to obtain job working with "computers". [insert love of said field here]
    3. Knows what the answer is from research. (spoiler alert - it's the direct application of knowledge gained through experience and/or study)
    4. Bashes entry level certifications [insert supporting information here][insert l33t skillz bro][insert black ops wet work]
    5. Waits for forum members to support already held beliefs.
    6. Walks into sunset not looking at explosions.
    7. Fails CISSP

Look Villan - I'll break this down for you. You could very well be the one true oracle of hardware we've all been waiting for and no one would know it. You know why? Because no one is going to believe a 21 year old without some supporting documentation. If the A+ is so easy, drop some coin, sit for the exam and bask in your awesomeness.

- Could i straight up take a Network+ or Server+ exam or do i have to have A+ cert in order to take those exams?

Yes. But keep in mind, if there was some sort of magic bullet that ensured a job, everyone on the planet would be crawling over each other to get it. You need to be personable, display some humility and convince someone to pay you for the wealth of knowledge you've obtained in the last two decades of life. Pick an entry level cert (or college) and go be good at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTaZkf4dih8