Options

How I passed CCNP !

MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed the final tshoot exam during the week.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. I picked up some good advice here in the beginning.

I would say you don't have to do any expensive courses. These are not value for money unless your work is paying for them and even then I would personally think that I would get more done on my own. ( I did some msoft courses before and a CCNA one).
(There are exceptions , I am considering Narbiks CCIE bootcamp having seen some reviews of his exceptional teaching style and the opportunity to return unlimited times)

In the end for each exam I used Rene Molnaar's books as an introduction and then took extensive notes from the INE videos.
(CBT nuggets are ok for an introduction or a different angle but you would be in trouble if they were your only information, at least a while back when I tried them)

Renee's book really stood out for tshoot as he is clear and to the point.

I also have Todd Lammele's book from CCNA. I only realised recently how good this was when I went back to check something in it. It is very handy to recap on the essentials of a topic.

I would advice anyone doing the exam to do them all properly and lab things up. It is possible to skim through, pass the the exam and not really understand anything. This will only get you interviews and you will flunk when they test you. It is much remember the material if you really understand it.

GNS3 is your friend. Once you get it working you can lab things quickly and easily. I bought some routers and switches but only used them a bit. I learned alot from just getting them up and running, flashing them, finding some were actually just broken. This was invaluable but shouldn't hold someone back or cause them to spend a chunk of money they don't have.

GNS3 v1 can be frustrating at the beginning but once you get it lined up it should stay that way. I would just take a day and do nothing until it works. This was more frustrating a few months ago when it was still in Alpha.

I also used mind maps they make it easy to review the material. These ones are free (for personal use) and easy to use than some of the other options. WiseMapping - Visual Thinking Evolution

I also got some good advice from Kiel Martin on youtube. He has some admittedly rambly videos but he helped me make up my mind about going for CCNP and beond. You might have seen this video before, CCNP is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Bp9p2T4j4&list=UUeZZUbcL2awo15FafXfsqIw&hd=1

I am currently reading Network Warrior which is for post qualification (CCNA, CCNP) real world cisco advice. It is excellent and has loads of stuff that will stop you looking like a tit on your next job. Network Warrior, 2nd Edition - O'Reilly Media

I'm also working through Narbiks Cisco press CCIE book 1 now, I'm only a few chapters in but it is nicely written and the chapters that cover CCNP stuff would be fine for CCNP study if you were planning on going deeper afterwards. (Disclaimer, it isn't a cheap book and I'm only 100 pages in).

As an aside, I am also working on my Linux skills. This caused me to take alot longer to get the CCNP. I think being comfortable with linux is essential for a network engineer. Alot of other non cisco equipment (and some cisco) is linux based and it is nice to be not instantly lost anymore and you can set up network monitoring and testing etc much more easily and cheaply. SDN is another discussion entirely but Linux won't hurt there either. I found Ashar Ghori's RHCE book really good even if you aren't doing the exam or working with Redhat. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Certified-System-Administrator-Engineer/dp/1467549401/ref=la_B002BLLBIG_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416679070&sr=1-1

thanks again !

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I have Narbik's workbook right now, although not using GNS3 for my labbing. Hope to see you with that number in the next couple years!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Congrats buddy - how long has it taken you from start to finish?
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Minary wrote: »
    I just passed the final tshoot exam during the week.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. I picked up some good advice here in the beginning.

I would say you don't have to do any expensive courses. These are not value for money unless your work is paying for them and even then I would personally think that I would get more done on my own. ( I did some msoft courses before and a CCNA one).
    (There are exceptions , I am considering Narbiks CCIE bootcamp having seen some reviews of his exceptional teaching style and the opportunity to return unlimited times)

In the end for each exam I used Rene Molnaar's books as an introduction and then took extensive notes from the INE videos.
    (CBT nuggets are ok for an introduction or a different angle but you would be in trouble if they were your only information, at least a while back when I tried them)

Renee's book really stood out for tshoot as he is clear and to the point.

I also have Todd Lammele's book from CCNA. I only realised recently how good this was when I went back to check something in it. It is very handy to recap on the essentials of a topic.

I would advice anyone doing the exam to do them all properly and lab things up. It is possible to skim through, pass the the exam and not really understand anything. This will only get you interviews and you will flunk when they test you. It is much remember the material if you really understand it.

GNS3 is your friend. Once you get it working you can lab things quickly and easily. I bought some routers and switches but only used them a bit. I learned alot from just getting them up and running, flashing them, finding some were actually just broken. This was invaluable but shouldn't hold someone back or cause them to spend a chunk of money they don't have.

GNS3 v1 can be frustrating at the beginning but once you get it lined up it should stay that way. I would just take a day and do nothing until it works. This was more frustrating a few months ago when it was still in Alpha.

I also used mind maps they make it easy to review the material. These ones are free (for personal use) and easy to use than some of the other options. WiseMapping - Visual Thinking Evolution

I also got some good advice from Kiel Martin on youtube. He has some admittedly rambly videos but he helped me make up my mind about going for CCNP and beond. You might have seen this video before, CCNP is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Bp9p2T4j4&list=UUeZZUbcL2awo15FafXfsqIw&hd=1

I am currently reading Network Warrior which is for post qualification (CCNA, CCNP) real world cisco advice. It is excellent and has loads of stuff that will stop you looking like a tit on your next job. Network Warrior, 2nd Edition*-*O'Reilly Media

I'm also working through Narbiks Cisco press CCIE book 1 now, I'm only a few chapters in but it is nicely written and the chapters that cover CCNP stuff would be fine for CCNP study if you were planning on going deeper afterwards. (Disclaimer, it isn't a cheap book and I'm only 100 pages in).

As an aside, I am also working on my Linux skills. This caused me to take alot longer to get the CCNP. I think being comfortable with linux is essential for a network engineer. Alot of other non cisco equipment (and some cisco) is linux based and it is nice to be not instantly lost anymore and you can set up network monitoring and testing etc much more easily and cheaply. SDN is another discussion entirely but Linux won't hurt there either. I found Ashar Ghori's RHCE book really good even if you aren't doing the exam or working with Redhat. Red Hat Certified System Administrator & Engineer: Training Guide and a Quick Deskside Reference, Exams EX200 & EX300: Amazon.co.uk: Asghar Ghori: Books

thanks again !

Congrats! I'm sure I remember one of your first posts on the CCNP section of the forums you must work quick man to get yours already!

Great job!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    onyeisionyeisi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, hard work and sacrifice pays off in the end.
    "A noble man makes noble plans and by noble deeds he stands."
  • Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank for sharing and Congratz man!! Good luck in your future studies/career!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on completing your CCNP and thanks for sharing! I hope to join the ranks soon.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi