Cant Connect to Server via Remote Desktop

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have setup a fresh install of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 on my server and cant connect to it via remote desktop. When I try to connect I get: remote desktop cant connect to the remote computer and gives a list of standard reasons. Here is what I have done:

Currently its on a workgroup
Set a static IP address
Activated remote desktop (all clients)
Enabled Remote Managment
TCP port 3389 is listening
UDP port 3389 shows *:*
telnet IP 3389 could not open connection
I can ping the server
The server can ping outside websites and the router
Hyper-V manager on my Windows 8.1 Enterprise PC cant connect (but I have not configured that at all on the server)

Any ideas? I am stumped at this point. I would just load VNC or something, but dont know how on an all command line system.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you verify firewall rules?
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If Dell, try connecting through the idrac, if HP, i think they call it ilo or dilo?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did not check the firewall rules. Its a fresh install, less than 2 hours ago and I thought that setting up remote desktop would add the rules. What rules am I looking for and how do I do it on a core install?

Its a Sunfire x4600 M2. It has a feature called ILOM, but I have yet to figure out how to set it up.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would start with this Windows 2012 Core Survival Guide

Also make sure HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell is set to CMD.exe and not explorer.exe
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would almost always count on Windows Firewall being a reason. It's just like how you can't normally ping a client fresh out of the box.
    gc8dc95 wrote: »
    I would start with this Windows 2012 Core Survival Guide

Also make sure HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell is set to CMD.exe and not explorer.exe

It turns out that it was the firewall rule settings. I ran: enable-netfirewallrul -displaygroup "remote desktop" and I was able to connect with RDP.
    Thanks for the link, help a lot.
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I would almost always count on Windows Firewall being a reason. It's just like how you can't normally ping a client fresh out of the box.

You were right. For server 2008 and 2012 I always have to fix the firewall to allow pings, I guess I should at the outset also do that for RDP.

Thanks all of you for your help, I was ready to toss it out the window. Since the server is sooo heavy you all saved my back and my sanity. lol