Options

Should I stay or should I go?

dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have had this burning desire to leave my current position at the help desk for some time. I've stayed the last few months after finishing my MCITP:EDST/MCSA:Windows 7 since I was in school and the downtime helped with managing time to study for everything (6 classes, and never again). I work for a company who's 'product' isn't IT, per se. Though very large (over 16,000 users) the positions that I would like to move into are 'guarded' by the saying 'it's not what you know, but who you know'. I've networked a bit where/when I could (3rd shift makes it tough) and have made some connections, though am not sure about how solid they feel about bringing someone as 'green' in to the department.

Right now, I am working on my CCNA, and hope to have it completed by the end of March next year. After that, I feel that my knowledge and abilities would make me a bit over qualified for this help desk position (there's no MCP's here, definitely no CCNAs or MCITPs, and maybe 3 A+ certified guys on a team of over 15 including sr help desk folks), or should I say more qualified for another 'higher' position.

I would prefer to be in a position that lends itself to wearing multiple hats - mainly because I want the experience. I think I have done some good in choosing these certifications to justify that.

Now here is where I need the advice: should I stay after finishing my CCNA and get one more certification before moving on? Or just go ahead and start looking at making the switch now?

The reason for staying is that I have tons of time to study here (maybe 7hrs out of the 10 hour shift), and I also know there is no substitute for real world experience. I guess it would be a win win either way, but I just wondered if anyone else had a different viewpoint.

Comments

• Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Leave to go where? My rule of thumb is this with IT. NEVER stay in the same postion for over a year unless there is a reason. Do not stay at the same job for more than a year unless you see room for growth or you are trying to pay bills. The reason why I say this is due to the fact IT is so broad so much technology, money amd experience out there to be gain and learn. For me I will be in your shoes within a few months. I got my promotion almost a year ago now I wish to move up in a senior role or mgt. If I dont get i will put my resume out there.
  • Options
    Go to another company that fits more with what I want as far as exposure to new technologies and experience is concerned. I see what you are trying to say. And the fact that I haven't seen any indication that of upward mobility professionally is what I do not like in my current state.

Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Me personally I'd finish up your CCNA and perhaps delve into VMware a bit and then if they don't see you aspiring to things then move on..... I know this sounds bad but milk them dry for all there worth and if you can study while working there set your goals on getting certified and then once your content move on...

PS: your skills sets are well 'beyond' help-desk, just keep getting certified. Move-on in 6 months if nothing improves.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback Deathmage. I was considering a VMware certification since it would round me out a bit. Do you have a recommendation for a starting point?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    if you would have been there more than a year or two after getting the ccna, then start looking for something better. Its all about improving your skillset.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can look up Stanly Community College and sign up for their VMware Academy class. You'll be put on a wait list but the cost, $185 for the class, is very, very inexpensive.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

stryder144 - I will have a look into that course from Stanly CC. Thanks for the tip - $185 is an attractive price for that kind of course.