Options

SpaceX is hiring an Information Security Engineer

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
I ran across this position in my search. It's totally something I'd love to do, but I don't have the experience.

Check it out here:

Information Security Engineer | SpaceX
SpaceX is a U.S.-based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. Founded in 2002, SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up, including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. TheFalcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species. Our team is made up of more than 3,000 SpaceXers located across our Hawthorne, California headquarters; and other facilities in Florida, Texas, and Washington, DC.

ADVANCE THE COURSE OF HUMAN HISTORY AND PAVE THE WAYS TO MARS
This is SpaceX. We are not like most companies. Our goal is to do what has never before been done--enabling mankind to live on other planets. We push the boundaries of what is currently possible, and understand it takes rare individuals to help us make this happen. We celebrate our successes, and each other. We seek future colleagues with a rare mix of drive, passion, scrappiness, intelligence, and curiosity to seek what’s beyond the stars.
Playing a direct role in advancing the course of human history is no small endeavor. Join us, and find your place in the SpaceX legacy.

INFORMATION SECURITY ENGINEER

RESPONSIBILITIES:

• Maintain, verify and improve the security posture of SpaceX
  • Work within a diverse group to design and deliver creative technical solutions
  • Support Certification and Accreditation of systems
  • Ensure activities and working locations comply with contractual security specifications, company and customer security requirements, and government regulations
  • Develop technically accurate and professionally packaged documentation to support company projects, security specifications and customer requirements

BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
  • Bachelors of Science degree in a related field
  • At least 6 years of relevant industry experience and CISSP (or similar certifications – CISA, GSEC) required

PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
  • Demonstrated experience assessing and hardening Windows, Linux and OSX platforms, as well as capability in examining their associated applications
  • Competency in evaluating and fixing potential security holes in complex systems
  • Strong ability to conduct vulnerability assessments and perform penetration tests.
  • Experience in Networking, including: configuring, testing and monitoring switches, routers, firewalls, intrusion detection systems and conducting packet capture analysis
  • Experience developing security solutions in accordance with DoD and NASA requirements

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
  • Must be passionate about security, and be willing to put in the time it takes to operate as a world class organization.
  • Must be willing to work significant overtime.

ITAR REQUIREMENTS:
  • To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.

SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.

Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.

CONNECT WITH US
Want to learn more about SpaceX career opportunities and culture? Be sure to connect with our recruiting team on social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, and SpaceX Careers.

[h=3]JOB LOCATION[/h]Hawthorne, CA, United States

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is too awesome!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd totally relocate if i had the qualifications..... like without a thought lol
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm more than qualified but can't relocate... D'oh! That would be a dream job for me. Or dream company, to be more accurate.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    I'm more than qualified but can't relocate... D'oh! That would be a dream job for me. Or dream company, to be more accurate.

maybe we both can go lol
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This would be an awesome opportunity...wow!
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I worked at the Jet Propulsion Lab from 1992 to 2009. The best job I ever had. I know some talent at SpaceX comes from JPL.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I worked at the Jet Propulsion Lab from 1992 to 2009. The best job I ever had. I know some talent at SpaceX comes from JPL.
    I also worked in an aviation industry role and it was awesome. There is a huge push from R&D to secure new technologies in the aerospace realm. Great opportunities where I am at for Pen testing and IA roles on aircraft and related equiptment. Pretty cool stuff, but I am happy where I am at in “secret squirrel world.”
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species

Ambitious, to say the very least. I could see the benfits getting wild in the future.... 401 k, full heath, one free annual trip to Mars...
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Do they offer relocation or are you guys just saying you would relocate out of your own pocket if you could?
  • Options
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    Do they offer relocation or are you guys just saying you would relocate out of your own pocket if you could?

I would, yes.
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't even think about applying for this job. It screams long hours and no work life balance. Yeah, it would be a cool place to work, but I also like not working. Work to live... not live to work.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd move there on my own... pretty sure I'd be able to afford it working there.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
    • Must be passionate about security, and be willing to put in the time it takes to operate as a world class organization.
    • Must be willing to work significant overtime

Thank you very much, I wouldn't even apply, not that I'm qualified or anything icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice... Sigh. Unfortunately I think my wife wouldn't agree to relocate.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I already work long hours. Really long hours, keeping up with customers and technology. Not only do I support a lot of scientists, but on some hardware I have little to no experience on, like Rocks Clusters, Cray supercomputers, and various storage technologies like Netapp and EMC, so to nothing of about 70 VMs.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think what SpaceX is doing is amazing and Elon Musk is one of those world-changing geniuses of our time. That being said, I know a couple people who work over at SpaceX in IT and you definitely do have to give up a LOT of your personal life there and it's EXTREMELY hard to stand out there. Doesn't mean it's a horrible place to work but if you want 50 hours or less a week or to stand out as a super star, it's probably not the place for you.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I think what SpaceX is doing is amazing and Elon Musk is one of those world-changing geniuses of our time. That being said, I know a couple people who work over at SpaceX in IT and you definitely do have to give up a LOT of your personal life there and it's EXTREMELY hard to stand out there. Doesn't mean it's a horrible place to work but if you want 50 hours or less a week or to stand out as a super star, it's probably not the place for you.

As a single dude, I'd sacrifice my social life for the future. Seeing as the majority of my time is spent on certifications and school outside of work, this could easily be a replacement following my Masters. Overall, it'd probably be a less work.