Options

Is the Drive worth it?

cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
This may be a stupid question but I have a job offer that is about an hour away from where i live. Pay will be right around 45k. (big raise) However with going to school and a 3 month old at home is the hour drive really worth it? I'd hate to be so far away and god forbid something happen, because I have our only car icon_neutral.gif. Moving is not an option at the moment because we do not have the money saved up for a lease termination, OR i could stay in the area and make the same amount of monies. Both are help desk positions.
HAVE: A+
Working on: N+, CCENT
Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can make the same amount where you are at now then why not do that? Unless the one an hour away is loaded with other incentives and way more opportunity to move up, sounds like it's an easy decision.
  • Options
    Kinda funny actually.... the one an hour away is actually an inside position with a recruiting company. I'll have to ask about any other kind of incentives. and weigh it out i suppose.
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been in a similar position where I was working in Sarasota and commuting from Tampa with one car between myself and the wife. We didn't have a child, so your results may vary. The commute doesn't seem like a big deal for the first six months or so, but it will absolutely wear on you. Have a great day at the office where your numbers came in under and your results were over? Go sit in the car. Have a terrible day where nothing is going right? Go sit in the car.

I know a good many people who have much longer commutes and have done it successfully for years. So what have we learned?

1. Make sure you like whatever you're driving. If you're pushing a 1982 rustbucket o' doom, you're going to have a bad time. If you have a decent whip, but really need to get that alignment looked at, its going to fail when you least need it. Late model German sedan? Sign me up. Domestic fail-mobile? I'd rather be unemployed.
    2. Do you need to account for snow, traffic or the random highway shooter? Some employers don't care what you have to do to get to work on time, so know your employer and know their threshold for your transit shenanigans.
    3. If you are prone to hangovers, you might want to reconsider this. Have a terrible headache where even mouse farts hurt? Go sit in the car for an hour and think about what you've done.
    4. Can your wife get out of the house? Take a look at what you're going to be putting her through. Do you want to come home after 12 hours and have her come unglued, taking the keys and staying at her sister's house? I wouldn't, so make sure she has some options. Women will put up with a fair amount of grief from men, but when they decide they've had enough, its not going to be on your schedule.
  • Options
    I'm obviously running it by the girlfriend (CFO) when i get home from work tonight. Im actually curious on her thoughts because she could go either-way. Plus there is a Strayer campus 5 minutes away from it so i have the chance to take more on-site classes (more GIbill monies).
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have that commute to my current job, Can be longer of a drive if the traffic gets really bad. The things that would make a commute worth it, is the money and the chance to be exposed to new technology that will test my skill set. To me driving an hour really isn't much of a commute anyways.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Heck, I have to drive 40 minutes just to reach a paved road! There is no where, I can go to work where I live, that would not be at least a 2 hour round trip!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□

Yep...checks out.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. I wouldn't have a problem doing an hour commute if I was actually driving the full extent of it. If I have to go outside the beltway for anything (shudder) I know I'm going to be doing at least an hour in the car...averaging 15mph in traffic. For those who have to commute and have the means, this tech is the bees knees:

Mercedes Stop-and-Go Autopilot Heralds Hands-Free Push - Bloomberg
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A job with a one hour drive is not that bad. Usually I go by the miles not the time to factor in the cost of gas.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even though I like to drive I wouldn't want to spend 2 hours commuting for more than a few months. Then if I really liked the job, move closer. Another thing is recruiters that I've worked with are a revolving door, 2 gone in 2 months at different companies. Not sure if that's true in their it department or if it's company related. Worth checking out how long people stay in the role.

Are you considering the longer commute based solely on money or will it advance your career?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A job with a one hour drive is not that bad. Usually I go by the miles not the time to factor in the cost of gas.

It really depends on what you are used to and how much you value your time. I just went from a 5 min walking commute to an 18 mile driving one. It was a big career step and pay increase, but now factor in a 2nd car, 45-90 mins each way depending on traffic, starting 3 hours earlier, etc. There are usually a number of different factors to consider.
  • Options

It is both a pay raise and advancement of sorts. I'm currently working with a company in a non-It position. That MAY change but its not set in stone. So any job/career in help-desk is a step-up for me at the moment. OOOO and i already have about a 40min drive to work lol
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you enjoying driving 40 minutes currently? If so, sure take the job, an hour drive really isn't that bad if you aren't in heavy traffic and that's really good pay for entry level IT.

A lot of companies mention things to keep you around from my experience. If there doesn't seem to be movement into getting you into IT at your current employee after 6 months after you discussed it, it's probably not going to happen.

Thank you for your service!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Just got off of a conference call interview with the hiring managers. I feel it went pretty well :) however, I was told for any real advancement I will have to relocate to California as where I will be working is a satellite branch office. The way I'm looking at this position is a good entry point and continue my education and get that dreaded "2-3 years entry level experience" out of the way. Then it's off to greater things. I should be hearing back from them within 2 weeks with a decision. Gives me time to feel out my other option that is only 10-15 minutes away.

And as far as getting into an IT role here at my current employer, if they cannot get me into the dept. I would prefer to be in I'm just gonna keep shopping around
    techfiend wrote: »
    Thank you for your service!

Your welcome and thank you :)
  • Options
    55 mi. so its not that bad... i can cut that down to 45 minutes :)
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I used to drive 2.5 each way. If the pay increase is big enough, use the job as a pivot to an even higher salary later. Also, can you negotiate flex-time, or work from home? What about gas reimbursement? You can write off mileage on your taxes as a business expense.
  • Options
    ^^ wish i knew those questions during the interview.... smh