Options

Contemplating CISSP

MdcooperMdcooper Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been working in IT for about 7 years now (with 2 companies), 1 year as first line support, 4 years as a second like support person / team leader and the last 2 years as an IT Manager.

Do you think I would have the relevant expensive to gain CISSP?

I am keen to work towards some form of qualification as up till now all i have is experience which doesn't help sometimes when looking for work! Open to other qualification suggestions if appropriate.

I am UK based and wondered if anyone had any advice?

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. The only opinion that matters for this is ISC2's, but in order for us to make educated guesses you need to tell us how your experience matches with the domains.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Welcome aboard. The only opinion that matters for this is ISC2's, but in order for us to make educated guesses you need to tell us how your experience matches with the domains.
    Thanks a lot for the reply :). To answer your question, I have been working in the Financial Services industry for all of those 7 years and have worked on PCI Security vulnerability testing, ISO 27001 implementation, building server infrastructures, VMware setup, completing policy frameworks for ISO 9001 accreditation as well as looking as implementing 2 factor vpn and laptop encryption software. Also setting up HP Switches, Watch Guard Firewalls, working on Avaya Phone systems and VOIP telephony. This is just a taste, but gives you a good idea that it has been quote varied.
  • Options
    Can anyone help me at all?

Thanks,

Matt
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My unofficial opinion is yes, if you have been doing those tasks for at least 5 of the 7 years... there are waivers depending on your education, etc., but usually it is 5 years.
    But don't take our word for it - you will need to contact ISC2 directly to be 100% sure.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Take and pass the CISSP exam first and worry about collecting the experience required for full certification later. If you have a college degree, or one cert in a long list of certifications, then you only need four years of verifiable professional InfoSec work experience in (at least) two of the CISSP CBK domains. It sounds like you may have that already.