Upgrading vCenter 5.1 to 5.5?

Sorry if this is a dumb or obvious question. I've tried doing some searching but haven't come up with the answer yet.

So, I have access to dreamspark, and dreamspark has vSphere and vCloud 5.5 but vCenter is 5.1. I tried email their customer support to ask if vCenter really is 5.1 or a typo that hasn't been updated yet, but after some exchange of emails, they still haven't answered my question. Instead they keep telling me to go to my course mentor (WGU).

Anyway, my question.. in case it IS 5.1, can I upgrade it to 5.5 and is it a free or pay update?

Thanks
Joe
Current goals: CCNA/CCNP

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Upgrading vCenter from 5.1 to 5.5 requires a license upgrade, which is not free.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Upgrading vCenter from 5.1 to 5.5 requires a license upgrade, which is not free.

It's free as long as you have an active maintenance agreement and upgrade to the same edition (i.e standard to standard or essentials to essentials, etc).
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Lol, that's totally correct. I guess I was thinking upgrading editions, sorry for misinformation!
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    If you have the vCenter license from WGU you can use it with 5.5. You just have to sign up for a vCenter trial at VMware to get the latest installer. The key is only good for a year though.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Oh, right on! Thanks for the help everyone!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    As everyone else said.. It should be okay..

vCenter license key is for 5.x version which means you shld be able to to upgrade fine.
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA