Options

Security+ or CCNA Sec

nickynilsonnickynilson Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
What do you think is better for someone who wants to go into the security major, After I completed CCNA I'm just confused to go for CCNA Security or Security+.Will I be able to understand all the terms in CCNA Security without getting the Security+ certification, or that won't be enough, I just want to start strong in security, So what do you think is better to start with ?

Comments

• Options
    maakshifmaakshif Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly, but in the end I think you should get both.

I've heard from some people that doing the Security+ first makes the CCNA: Security a breeze other than learning the Cisco CCP. I've also heard from others that doing CCNA: Security first makes the Security+ a breeze.

My current supervisor did his CCNA: Security a couple of years ago and his Security+ a couple of months ago. He was one of the people telling me that the CCNA: Security made the Security+ easier, though he said he also struggled with Security+ and CCNA: Security was easy for him.

I can't say myself from experience just yet, but I took and passed the CCENT and CCNA back in July and August and I passed the Security+ this past Monday. I'll be taking the CCNA: Security sometime between January and March. I only chose Security+ now because my A+ and Netowrk+ were about to expire.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I would suggest the Sec+ then CCNA: S, because you will come across a lot of material that you cover in Sec+ in the CCNA:S which will make it overall a lot easier to understand. Goodluck .
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do Security+ first....CCNA:Security renews Security+. Vendor specific exams (Cisco) always cover more material, and more difficult ideas like configuration....when compared to vendor neutral (CompTIA).
  • Options
    awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do Security+ first. I'm studying for CCNA-S right now and a lot of the material is either covered in Security+ or CCNA-R/S (ICND2).
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do Sec + which gives you instant DOD for government jobs etc... Then I would go for CCNA sec. which will be a little simpler since you'll have a base understanding of Security but; Cisco security is different then CompTia's neutral exam.