Options

CCNA Sec Passing Score

KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
Hi

I have my CCNA Sec exam booked for the 22nd Dec. I heard the passing score is 898.
Why is it so high? Is it because the exam is easy??
Seems like Cisco leave you little room for error.
2018 Goals
AWS & Linux Knowledge

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I've heard, the passing score was raised several months ago because the exam was viewed as too easy. Personally, I would rather they had just made the exam more difficult (more CLI/ASDM, which is what is used in the real world rather than CCP which no one uses outside the exam) and left the passing score the same as before.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The exam was really easy when I took it. I think they should refresh it instead of raising the score, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    The exam was really easy when I took it. I think they should refresh it instead of raising the score, but that's just my opinion.

When did you pass the exam?
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me know how you get on, I'm hoping to take it within the next 6 months.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Try not to think about the passing score. Focus on the technologies and you'll do fine.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on, I'm hoping to take it within the next 6 months.

Will do, at the moment I'm using

CBT Nuggets
    OCG
    Chris Bryant vids on Udemy
    Boson Exam Simulator
    and GNS3
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Krusader wrote: »
    Will do, at the moment I'm using

CBT Nuggets
    OCG
    Chris Bryant vids on Udemy
    Boson Exam Simulator
    and GNS3

Sweet, I've got all of those except the Boson ES but it was great for CCNA.

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took it in April 2013 and found it pretty easy with my hands on ASA experience. I used the Official Cert Guide and CBT Nuggets to prepare.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    When did you pass the exam?

Took it November 2013.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I passed, score of 970. 61 questions. Questions were concise and to the point which was great.
    I didn't feel like the exam was very challenging after studying for 3/4 months. Though there was some tricky IPS questions and in the lab I was trying to save the config but there was nowhere to save it. I didn't want to lose points for not saving the config
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the exam today on the 22nd. I've been studying since September, but had a CCNA: Security college class late last year and a refresher (audited or sit in a class again for free) also in September. Personally, I found Security easier than Routing & Switching. That is probably due to the fact that I was already familiar with the material from R&S & Security+.

Most of my studying involved labs with latest packet tracer for the ASA 5505 and watching various Keith Barker videos (CBT Nuggets & Live Lessons) repeatedly. On the other hand, a classmate (with the same study commitment) went the path of CCENT then CCNA Security and told me it was hard. So I would say CCNA Security complexity varies on a person experience with the material. Also note that you are mainly working with the CCP interface in Security and not the IOS interface for labs, so that may also imply that it is"easier". Then again, that's if you view AAA, TACACS+s, ACLs, and IPsec implementation on the IOS CLI as easy...
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I passed, score of 970. 61 questions. Questions were concise and to the point which was great.
    I didn't feel like the exam was very challenging after studying for 3/4 months. Though there was some tricky IPS questions and in the lab I was trying to save the config but there was nowhere to save it. I didn't want to lose points for not saving the config

You beat my score by 1 point! Either way a pass is a pass. I also spent about 7 - 9 minutes trying to figure why the simulation wouldn't let me write or send to configuration (options were grayed out). When I was looking at how I scored on topics, I don't think that they held that against us and gave us credit by clicking next. My confidence was thrown off a bit at the beginning when I saw it was 61 questions instead of the usual 50 until I was flying through the questions and started to wonder if I was answering them wrong because of how how quickly I choose my answers. I expected to burn my time through simulations, but I did not get many. I also thought it was easier than previous Cisco exams; I would have never fathomed that I would have about 30 minutes left when I was at the last question.

As I said before in another post Krusader, congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif Did you plan on continuing on with Cisco or were you going to continue to pursue MSCA, VCP, and Security+? I would recommend going for Security+ while the concepts are fresh. I felt that the first few chapters of CCNA: Security was a Security+ refresher.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^

I thought I was the only one that felt like I had too much time left. I had a good 45 minutes left when I finished.
  • Options
    Doyen wrote: »
    You beat my score by 1 point! Either way a pass is a pass. I also spent about 7 - 9 minutes trying to figure why the simulation wouldn't let me write or send to configuration (options were grayed out). When I was looking at how I scored on topics, I don't think that they held that against us and gave us credit by clicking next. My confidence was thrown off a bit at the beginning when I saw it was 61 questions instead of the usual 50 until I was flying through the questions and started to wonder if I was answering them wrong because of how how quickly I choose my answers. I expected to burn my time through simulations, but I did not get many. I also thought it was easier than previous Cisco exams; I would have never fathomed that I would have about 30 minutes left when I was at the last question.

As I said before in another post Krusader, congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif Did you plan on continuing on with Cisco or were you going to continue to pursue MSCA, VCP, and Security+? I would recommend going for Security+ while the concepts are fresh. I felt that the first few chapters of CCNA: Security was a Security+ refresher.

I had 35 minutes left when I finished also.

I was only considering the Security+ to renew my CompTIA certs but the price of the exam is turning me off the idea. I would prefer to do the Storage+ or Linux+

I'll be starting the Stanly CC VMware course in January so I'll definitely be going for the VCP in 2015, likewise I only have the 1 exam left to do for my MCSA and I'll take the 74-409 exam for that.

I did the CCNA Security to renew my CCNA R&S. I would love to pursue the CCNP R&S but we are a HP Procurve shop
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Congrats man, will hopefully get this cert in 2015.

• Options
    Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I didn't feel like the exam was very challenging after studying for 3/4 months.

You studied for four months for this test?
  • Options
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Congrats man, will hopefully get this cert in 2015.

Cheers Kinet1c
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Cat5 wrote: »
    You studied for four months for this test?

Yeah, I took it slow. Doing 1 hr a night or so
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge