Options

Start My First IT Job Tomorrow!

TownTown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Applied for a handful of entry level IT job a couple weeks ago after passing the first part of the A+ cert, and am starting at one tomorrow! I am a bit nervous as the role isn't incredibly well defined and I will essentially be "the" help desk guy, but I was very upfront with skill level and lack of IT experience. Hopefully this will be the start of a long and successful career in IT! I'm not sure what area I'll want to eventually specialize in yet, but am hoping to learn a lot. My plan is to keep taking certs as I go to make me a better and better candidate as I move forward.

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Grats! What are the job requirements? Try to knockout the CompTIA trifecta first and then you can get a sense if you want to stay in the help desk region, network side of things or security. Those certs will help you find what you want to specialize in. Goodluck on your job! Report back to us and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    SupraTTSupraTT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations - All the best !
  • Options
    RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. All the best to you.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on getting in the IT Field and good luck learning the job!
  • Options
    TownTown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was good, and I'm really looking forward to working there. Turns out I actually have a coworker or two, and the subculture is very relaxed (my boss literally said "Once we get your phone hooked up feel free to use it for personal calls.") I had some concerns about the jobs ability to help give me practice geared towards specific certs, but it turns out they deal a lot with what MCSA SQL Server covers, and said they'd let me deal more with those issues.

Just some advice for those that might have no experience like me:

I applied to anything and everything that dealt with IT and was entry level through Monster, Indeed, and universities. I also messed with my resume a lot to emphasize skills and whatever small amount of IT experience I had. In interviews I explained why I had a degree that was not in IT and expressed my desire to be in this field. I've been told I interview well so that probably helped as well.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats, sure you will do fine :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1