Options

CCNA Composite on Wednesday

SWtacomaSWtacoma Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have my 200-120 scheduled for this Wednesday. I have been labbing in packet tracer and have been doing a lot of practice questions from Todd Lammle's book as well as Cisco NetAcad. I am feeling confident on the material so I feel like it is time to just sit and take it. I have been working on this cert for well over a year now. My employer will pay for two attempts if I happen to fail the first. Any last minute advice from those who took the composite route would be much appreciated.

Thanks TE!

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No advice but I hope you pass, good luck!
  • Options
    olhandleyolhandley Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck. At least you have the safety net of another paid shot if you fail. My employer only pays if you pass.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the composite, be prepared for the ride of your life! I have taken it twice (both attempts for really cheap) and it is not that easy. Doing the 2 exam path is preferred but it is different based on experience. You can get questions pulled from both ICND1 or 2 so be prepared. Time management is key to the exam. When it comes to the tutorial, look over everything closely. Use the time for the tutorials/NDA agreement to write down anything you may forget due to nerves (aka legal braindump). Subnetting is big. Get ready for the giant simulation question at any point in the exam. What I have learned from my attempts with Cisco is this.

1. There are the wrong, the right, and the Cisco way.
    2. If a question type (giant sim, simlet, testlet multiple choice, etc) is not in your tutorial, you will not encounter it on your exam (at least to my knowledge I may be wrong).
    3. Once you answer a question you cannot go back (unlike CompTIA/other vendors).
    4. Know your show, troubleshoot, and verify commands within seconds.
    5. When in doubt, use show run
    6. These exams are nothing like CompTIA. You have to know your stuff.
    7. Speed/Accuracy is key to finish in time
    8. ACLs/ EIGRP on my attempts were big (can't say exactly what but they played their fair role)
    9. Keep calm and carry on!

Also, just in case things don't work out as planned, check out Paul Browning CCNA in 60 days. By far the best and most accurate book I have used for my CCNA studies. He tells you what you need to know and all the tricks Cisco tries to play. I would have also invested in practice exams (Boson are the best by far IMO) to test your overall readiness. His ebook is only 9 or 10 dollars so worth the money. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    SWtacomaSWtacoma Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow thank you for all of the insight. I see most people have not taken the 1 exam route so I hope I am not shooting myself in the foot on that. I have studied and prepared for both materials. I am feeling confident on my subnetting abilities as well as ACLs. I have real world experience with EIGRP and that is what I focused on studying for the most in terms of routing protocols. OSPF can still be a little odd to me but I have a feeling Cisco is going to focus more on their own protocol rather than the Open standard.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OSPF can still be a little odd to me but I have a feeling Cisco is going to focus more on their own protocol rather than the Open standard.

Is there's something you need clarification on for anything? Routing protocol selection is situational and depends on a lot of factors.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to know how you make out. I have been contemplating the composite exam myself and would like to hear how it goes.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took the composite exam last year and you have to be prepared for it if you want to pass. Make sure you know the concepts well and be prepared for the labs.
    Good luck!
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|