MIGRATION FROM ONE ISP TO ANOTHER ISP

TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
:D Hi, just wanted to say hi to everyone as I've not been around for ages. Due to the fact that I decided to migrate from one ISP to another ISP. Big mistake. The whole process took up to 12 days long, which meant no internet for that time. I think I was literally climbing up the walls!!

If you are thinking of migrating from one ISP to another in the UK, just consider the fact that its not as straightforward as people think!!

MIGRATION means = no internet for relentless days, hence this long post! icon_eek.gif
If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Welcome Back - good to know you are still alive and with us.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    of course! where else would i be?...lol. its great to be back. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    in the Army.....lol.....we missed having you here........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    this is most likely due to the fact that you don't really own your own public address space and had to renumber to a space provided by new new isp and re-create your dns service
    and that takes time.
    a better way may have been to temporaily mutil-home and gradually move from one side to the other.
    then eventually drop the olld connection.
    rm -rf /
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Changing ISPs can be a real pain with DSL. They just can't leave your DSL connection in service. You need to fill out a switch form so your DSL service is switched from your old ISP to your new, which involves disconnecting and reconnecting the service. This can take anywhere from two days to two weeks depending upon the current workload of your local Telco Central Office, and how high of a priority they consider a switch on residential DSL to be.

A bit of advise is NEVER use the email boxes provided by an ISP. If you switch ISPs then you loose your email address. Better to use an independent email service just for this case.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow - some of the things we complain about here are pretty bad but at least we can switch a Telco in a day. Of course as jdmarray says - never use their email.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    GBAGIRL wrote:
    :D Hi, just wanted to say hi to everyone as I've not been around for ages. Due to the fact that I decided to migrate from one ISP to another ISP. Big mistake. The whole process took up to 12 days long, which meant no internet for that time. I think I was literally climbing up the walls!!

If you are thinking of migrating from one ISP to another in the UK, just consider the fact that its not as straightforward as people think!!

MIGRATION means = no internet for relentless days, hence this long post! icon_eek.gif

Welcome back! Now you can get back to work on your TeamTechies duties. icon_cheers.gif
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    yes Boss icon_redface.gif