Options

failover/backup for physical server hosting 4 vms?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
hi, i need to work on geting our physical server in work (hyper v installed running 4 vms) backed up to possibly another physical server.
is this the best way to do it for failover purposes? looking for the cheapest way to do it. new enough to virtualisation so looking for opinions on how best to do this.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Going to assume you want the VMs protected/backed up rather than the actual physical server. Most backup software that backs up physical server will back up VMs as well.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hyper-V replica perhaps? Unless you are talking 2008 that is. OS/host/budget details are helpful. In some places cheap means under $100k.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hyper-V replica perhaps? Unless you are talking 2008 that is. OS/host/budget details are helpful. In some places cheap means under $100k.

yeah current server is poweredge running server 2008 so i guess replica is out of the question? the warranty is up on it in two months time. its a small setup for roughly 50 people running some critical business servers.
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    Going to assume you want the VMs protected/backed up rather than the actual physical server. Most backup software that backs up physical server will back up VMs as well.

yeah our current server is out of warrenty in 2/3 months and basically i want the same setup as the current one (poweredge) and have some form of redundancy between them incase the physical or vms go down. hope that makes sense.