Networking Help

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have four stacked dell switches. One of them is having issues. All hosts plugging into this problem switch are experiencing very high latencies and time outs when browsing. I did side by side pings to google from a host on the problem switch and from a host on one of the others . I have moved a host off the problem switch to a good switch and assigned to same vlan as before and the problem clears up. This just happened out of the blue. I have tried power cycling the switch..

Based off this information, what does this typically mean? Where should I be looking from a troubleshooting perspective? My networking knowledge is very limited. Appreciate any help.

Comments

• tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nevermind. Updated firmware and rebooted. Issue resolved.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    When all else fails, make sure you are up to date! icon_cheers.gif
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    Ain't that the truth. I love to over complicate things early on in the troubleshooting process.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, now you don't actually know if the firmware upgrade fixed it or just rebooting it cleared some errant state the device found itself in (which seems the more likely cause to me). Rebooting should be the last step to try to correct something and only after all of the pertinent info has been collected because a reboot usually clears things like memory leaks giving the illusion of a fixed problem. Then they tend to come back again after a while or by some randomly triggered event and you find yourself in the same boat.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Good points there networker. Obviously I didn't want to reboot and drop everyone on that switch. Luckily there were only Pc's on this switch and most of the users were not in. I moved my "important users" that were on.. off to one of the "good" switch's. These actions seemed like my only option given my lack of networking knowledge. Assuming you are right and the issue returns, what info would you collect?